reuse of mouse-trap -- good, bad, what? (instructions say NO)

HD mouse-traps, 2 per package, are $1.50 or so (more?), and that gets expensive after a while.

The instructions say to NOT reuse them.

question: Why not?

. disease (to me)?

. mouse-smell repels others?

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Combs

I have reused them when I didn't have any replacements. They work fine the second time around. But I don't do it normally. I use about a dozen traps a year, so, the $10 or whatever...

I bought a mechanical trap that flings them into a bin. I checked on one after the winter was over. Can't even say roughly how many it caught, but the bin was pretty full. But it kept catching them. so the mouse smell can't be a problem.

Reply to
toller

It reduces corporate profits. I still use 20 year old traps. They work fine.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

To sell more traps? Many years ago was told not reuse if there was mouse blood on them. But I always have. Run them under the hot tap for a moment and then hang on clothes line to dry. Recently, as fall weather came, caught three mice, two in an old reused spring trap. One in a new spring trap. Also bought four new ones recently two in package for $1.50. Same old wood metal gadget as always; baited with cheese, peanut butter or a bit of bacon. But no further mice that I can detect. There was a newer type trap on display, looked something like a large plastic spring paper clip, called "Easyset" IIRC. So maybe somebody HAS invented the proverbial better mouse trap? Of course there is always the suggestion to feed the cat some cheese and having it sit near the mouse hole with 'baited' breath!

Reply to
Terry

You can reuse them if you wash them well. It's not the blood as stated in another posting, as mice are cannibalistic (when starving). If a mouse recognizes the trap as danger (as in near miss) or a trapped and injured mouse pees on the trap, the urine scent serves as a warning to all other mice. Just wash the urine smell off with dish soap and water and it will work fine. I use peanut butter above and underneath the trip tab and get very few misses.

Reply to
Gizmofiddler

:) The instructions say to NOT reuse them.

I would guess it is marketing. :) :) question: Why not?

I would think most exterminators will suggest reusing the traps.

:) . disease (to me)? Wear long gloves when handling, you are not just dealing with what is now a peice of spoiled meat and the various "germs" that go along with that, but fleas from the cold body will readily jump onto your arm as you are picking up the trap.

:) . mouse-smell repels others?

the multi catch type of traps use the odor of the caught rodents to help them be more effective.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Dancing dog is back!

Lar

Just saw a TV commercial for a D-Con mouse trap. It is a circular black plastic? can, that kinda looks like a tuna can.. The mouse enters a hole in the side, and the top of the can rotates to close the hole. What happens inside is not shown, but the commercial says "No see", "No touch". The whole can is thrown out. I can't find a pic with Google.

Reply to
willshak

This is by far the best mouse trap I've ever used. Its reusable too. I'm going on 20 or more mice on some of them (yes, I have a mouse problem). Far more sensitive than the wooden ones.

If you do use the wooden ones, I find that if you hot melt glue a few sunflower seeds under the trip lever they work better (fewer false trips). THe mouse has to push the lever aside to get to the seeds. I also reuse the wooden ones with this method. Mouse blood doesn't seem to make a difference although I wash it off too.

Reply to
Jmagerl

"Jmagerl" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net:

I prefer this one:

Murray Peterson

Get a Towser. Record is almost 24,000 mice before you have to replace it.

JerryMouse

I just saw that TV ad,too. I'll have to see how much it costs. It'd be good for people who get queasy looking at dead ones in traps. B.

Reply to
Broncearse

replying to David Combs, Havok wrote: /I have used wooden traps all my life and only replace them if they get broken or disappears, someone else throws it away. Using a small piece of bread, tie it on with a small piece of thread. Place one or two drops of used oil on bread. Set trap and place where wanted, sit back and listen for the snaps./

Reply to
Havok

What kind of oil? 10w40 or straight weight?

Reply to
Jimbo

Did you look at the date of his post? Mice only live 2-3 years and his would be 13 by now.

Reply to
Frank

Jimbo posted for all of us...

Gear oil 90w don't forget the posi additive.

Reply to
Tekkie®

replying to Terry, Tom wrote: I have used the "EasyTrap" and can say it works great, really easy to set thus avoiding it snapping while trying to place it. Made of plastic so it washes right off and ready to use again.

Reply to
Tom