Trains redux

Seeing the separate thread drifting towards trains reminded me of this. It's very nice, but rather pricy. Wonder how much it would cost to build one?

Bob Eager

£260 for a 3-line matrix display isn't actually too bad, you can proba bly get a no-brand one from China for less.

Then a Rasp Pi to take the data from the National Rail feed, reformat it an d pump it out the serial port.

If you want the information, rather than an actual LED dot matrix display,

Or use a local stylesheet and a matrix font on a large screen?

There is also

if you want a train movements map

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

bably get a no-brand one from China for less.

and pump it out the serial port.

I;m sure you can get apps to do this. The problem is getting it to display on a dedecated LED display screen. We did use them here and have a similar thing for lab-timetables using a pi and a 12 inch monitor.

Reply to
whisky-dave

That's the way I would do it, although possibly not via the serial port. And one would have to add wireless.

Oh, I use that. It would be cool to have that in the hall, though.

Not quite the same though.

Ooh! Hadn't seen that before. Thanks.

(I play with the aircraft and shipping stuff)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bob Eager has brought this to us :

Nor I, good innit?

Arriva also to a tracking / map system for the buses.

Then there's the aircraft tracking system and the ship tracking system.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Could have done with one of those during WW2 for like, y'know, the U-boats.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I did mention those in my reply, but not the URLs. Might as well...

Bob Eager

I have an external VGA output from the laptop that can be used for that sort of purpose whilst leaving the normal desktop unaffected.

Also

is reasonable for bus-stops, although there is no easy way of amalgamating different stances within one location (I use a locally hosted frameset which loads two pages for bus stops on opposite sides of the road)

Mr Railalefan used to have departure boards that even spoke the announcements, but it's behind a password now.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog