Garage Door Drips When Opening in the Rain

Is there anyway to stop my garage door from dripping inside the garage when I open it in the rain? Is this normal?

Reply to
dpenney

Normal for some doors on some garages. Are you a first-time homeowner?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

No, first time garage woodworking workshop owner :) At our old house the door was one solid piece that swung up so the only drips possible were at the edges which isn't a big deal and only having a car in there I couldn't care less. This door is in sections so the drips come through those gaps and get much further into the garage and all over my tools. Just wondering if there was a way to prevent it.

Reply to
dpenney

The only practical way I can think of would be to build some sort of drip tray below the rails. I suppose one could be fabricated from sheet metal. It would have to be low enoug to clear any operating mechanism of course.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I see it! U-shaped with a lip for the screws to attach it. Inside of U facing the outside, which means they end up angled like little gutters when the door goes up.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Y'know I think I see it too... I could probably attach little gutters to the guide rails as it's only an issue when the door is actually stopped in the open position.

Reply to
dpenney

Or, think about actually using some ready-made gutter, available at any home store.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

It's an epiphany!

Reply to
Doug Kanter

It's normal, but there is an easy fix. Attach a cheap tarp to the inside of the door. When the door is open the tarp will catch any drips and empty itself when the door closes.

Frank

Reply to
Frank K.

Glue sheet plastic to the seams, and or put a canopy over the tool bench.

Reply to
Goedjn

No, the canopy goes over the driveway so the garage door never even gets wet. ;-)

Reply to
PipeDown

Of just glue a strip of plastic over the section joints. Leave enough slack for it to flex as the door goes up and down.

Rick

Reply to
Richard Blaine

In my garage it wouldn't work. The cover would have to cover the entire width of the door as it drips through each section crack...whoops, does it? I'll have to pay more attention the next time it is raining. I sure do get dripped on getting in and out of the car though.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Reply to
clifto

replying to dpenney, Ron Holterman wrote: I made a product that will help you, I have been a service tech in the garage door industry and after years of seeing problem. Free to test for me very easy to install.

Reply to
Ron Holterman

I would be interested in hearing more about your product

Reply to
paulamariebianchi

replying to Ron Holterman, Ron Fiebiger wrote: Interested in your garage door drip product.

Reply to
Ron Fiebiger