Garage door not opened all the way

My garage door does not open all the way. It always stops at the same spot, about half-way. The opener is a chain-type. I checked there was nothing stuck inside the tracks so I assume it might be the motor problem. Can anyone give me a hint?

Reply to
hml

First step is to disconnect the door from the opener. Then does it open easy and close easy? Does it stay up and down without the opener?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

It doesn't stay up. It just drops to close position.

Reply to
hml

My chain drive will do this in cold weather. If the door is the one piece type then the largest mechanical disadvantage takes place about half way up.

You should have a up force adjustment. Just tweak it a little.

Reply to
tnom

The other adjustment would be a mechanical adjustment of the door springs. The door springs are suppose to counter gravity. Tighten them if possible.

Reply to
tnom

Adjust your springs your door should go up or down with the same force when disconected from the opener

Reply to
mark Ransley

Bingo. It sounds like a spring or two have let go, or they are very weak or the door has gotten heavier (got wet?) The door should be balanced so it will stay up. No opener is designed to really "lift" the door.

I suggest that if you don't know what you are doing, it is time to have the pro come in. Springs can be dangerous to work with.

You may be able to adjust things so it will open the door, but that will not last long with the problem you are having.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

What kind of tools I will need to adjust the spring?

Reply to
hml

You may just need a your hands, or you may need new springs and a special tool. It depends on the type of springs and what is wrong. It would be difficult to say from here. If you have the original instructions for the installation of the door, you will find the instructions for the springs.

Again, people have been badly injured trying this and many manufacturers warn strongly against trying to do this yourself.

Note: I am not a professional and have no interest in the trade, but I don't like to see people get hurt.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The springs above the door do not appear broken. They probably would need to be adjusted. As some said it would be dangerous to do it myself, I'll probably ask the Pro to do the adjustment for me. Can anybody recommend one for me. I live in Vancouver BC.

Reply to
hml

I can't find the original instructions. The springs are above the door. They do not appear broken. I'll probably let the Pro do the adjustment for me. Can anyone recommend a Pro for me. I live in Vancouver , BC.

instructions

manufacturers

Reply to
hml