What Does "Hand-Painted" Usually Mean?

What does it mean when something like this is advertised as "hand- painted"? Does it mean that it's done with a stencil? Or does it mean that the drawings are mechanically imprinted onto the object and someone colors it in with their hand?

My guess is that things would cost more if they were really hand- painted.

Chris Tsao

No, it may be legit. But some of that stuff is painted on an assembly line rather than some fancy artist doing a one off. Things like that are done all the time by workers making pennies per hour.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Like where one person does the drawing and one or more others do the fill-ins and someone else does the glazing?

Reply to
Chris Tsao

Either one could apply. Your image is too small to see detail, but the style is one most commonly painted by hand with brush-applied colors. The same style has colors that tend to be somewhat transparent, so that overlapping brush strokes can be seen. Your image could also be just a decal-type transfer ... if you cannot see brushstrokes, or see a pattern in the colors, it is more likely (not absolutely) a decal.

Reply to
Norminn

This item is curved, so I don't think it is a decal. For the same reason I don't think it is a stencil. And it's multicolored so it would need several stencils.

Reply to
mm

Pretty much. Can I do the red today? I'm tired of painting blue.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

There's this other company that sells the exact same stuff as the one in the link, only from different molds. I have a big glazed frog and a big cross from them. I didn't see the brush hairs (as far as I can tell, that is). They probably are hand-painted, but maybe not with a paint brush. They look like they were drawn with something similar to chalk. The paint looks dabbed, but I don't know art (only what I like).

Reply to
Chris Tsao

Chances are fairly good that the complicated parts are done by decal, stamp, or machine, and the easy parts are painted by hand. I'm not absolutely sure why it matters. It's mass-produced stuff. It ain't ever going to be collectable art, so either you like the way it looks, or you don't. What difference does it make how it was done?

Reply to
Goedjn

I'm just curious. But if I ever buy a Mexican vase, for some reason I would want it to be all hand-painted. Myabe because vases are supposed to be supreme?

Reply to
Chris Tsao