cutting tile

I have ceramic tile in a bathroom. I want to pull out the vanity and replace it with a pedestal sink. I do not have anymore of the tile. I need to cut the existing tile at the doorway in order to put in a different floor. Is it possible to cut the tile on the floor? What would I use?

Reply to
rmcostello

Are you concerned about the wall tile or the floor tile or both?

You can cut the floor with a diamond saw blade in a circ saw.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I've heard of people using smaller tools like dremmels, to do close up work, too.

tom @

Just Joshin

Before you get sucked into the pedestal sink fad, have a hard look at your bathroom and figure out where you are going to put all the stuff in the present vanity. Some decent cabinetry could hit your budget for a couple hundred bucks or so. DIY work on old tile often is very disappointing, with frustrated owners giving up and pulling out all the tile and putting down new vinyl instead. So consider all the ramifications, labor vs. $$ vs. results and do what's best for your situation. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

You cold use a straightedge and score the tile with a glass cutter, then gently hammer and chisel at the score, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Using a cut-off wheel is probably going to be your best bet, but it's going to be loud, dusty and take a long time.

What size are the tile, and how are they affixed?

Your best bet may be removing whole tile, cleaning and cutting them, then re-laying. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman