CCTV Advice Needed For Home Security

Hello All I need some advice with regards CCTV.I need a system that will be looking over a car park outside my house.It will be connected to a video,recording through the night,so if anything happens I can view it after on a TV.But the camera will be looking through a window on to the car park,this is to stop people vandalizing the camera.So it needs to have good to average night vision.It also needs to be wireless as it may be used elsewhere for other viewing concerns.Audio is not required just visuals.I have been looking at the Tranwo 3010 Indoor B&W Day/Night Vision Wireless CCTV Camera & Receiver from

I am not sure how good the picture quality would be,going by the price I presume you get what you pay for.Price wise I am looking at spending up to £100.00 on a system if one exists with the requirements I have mentioned.I emailed iviewcameras and asked them their advice to this question but they never replied.They do seem to have the best selection of CCTV cameras/systems that I have found.

Any and all help on this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help MW

Reply to
ioan_davies

move house.

hth

Reply to
.

be aware that wireless cctv systems can conflict with neighbours equipment and with wireless routers on computer networks. I have learnt this to my cost.

Reply to
Dave

This fact not fiction, but... Some time ago a resident was find £2000, an offender who had committed an knife assult on a person, police gained footage of the assult by the said residents CCTV camera footage as it was verging over the residents property boundry(public footpath...result was the offender was found guilty and his lawyer then filed a lawsuit against the resident for illegal use of the CCTV.

So do be warned.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Sounds like an urban myth to me - can you provide any proof of this 'fact'?

Reply to
Steve Walker

Key part is 'some time ago'. I think it was February 2004 that new guidance came from the ICO. Essentially: if there are no more than two cameras, they are not remotely steerable, the output is just taped, and it's only used for police assistance, then it's fine.

Reply to
Bob Eager

As a previous poster said, interference is a problem with wireless cameras. Microwave ovens can also knock out the signal. If the camera is mounted high enough, vandalism should not be a problem. However, very few cheap cameras work well under night time conditions and you may well have problems with reflections if trying to operate through a window. If the problem is only over a few hours, then a standard video camera would be a better solution, this will have better optics than a low cost camera. It can easily be coupled to a standard VCR. Can you borrow one?

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Its not urban myth. No, not now as it was a newspaper article late 2004?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Have a look at the laws relating to CCTV on the information commissioners web site

it is an offense to use a camera in public places without cause etc. we were warned at work as one of our roaming cameras look at our second building (across a public rd) by the installation company. Having said all that if anything happens on the estate the police borrow to the tape to see who came on and off it via the road so they tend to be understanding.

Reply to
JD

With respect, I'll believe it when I see it.

Reply to
Steve Walker

but if you have cause .....

Reply to
.

Read what I said. I said 'new guidance'. It's a separate note. Also read again...I said that it's OK if the cameras aren't steerable; you were warned about a steerable camera.

I'm perfectly aware of the ICO website; that's why I mentioned the ICO! See:

Bob Eager

To avoid possible wireless Lan/microwave oven conflicts, you could consider one of the Homeplug cameras that transfer their info to your computer via the mains wiring. Pictures are jpegs and readily stored on a pc. I'm sure there is software available to give the equivalent of VCR functionality. Google will find suppliers such as Solwise for the cameras I've not used a camera on Homeplug but do use Ethernet over Homeplug which works very well.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Modern wireless is pretty good, and modern ovens less crap than they occasionally used to be. I was worried about this, but my 802.11a/g WIFI and DECT phone work quite happily with the microwave on. The DECT base station is 6" away from the oven too.

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

[typo] ^^ b/g
Reply to
Tim S

Increase your budget tenfold and you might get a system that is worth having.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

He's watching his car not the crown jewels. lol

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I read in the OP's question (between the lines) that he was worried about his car being vandalised in a private car park.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He doesn't specify as being private?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Unless he is watching it live, constantly, there is little point in having a low quality CCTV. The recordings will not be of evidence quality, so the Police won't be interested in them.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar