CCTV Advice

Some friends of mine own a restaurant in a bit of a rough area. Consequently, they are having problems with vandalism.

They are now thinking of putting CCTV in. The general idea is two outside cameras to cover the main and kitchen door, and one camera in the entryway pointing through a glass door.

Does anyone have any suggestions on kit they should be looking at - both for cameras, and a recorder?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Richard Colton

Budget?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Not sure at this stage. Just trying to get them some ideas. although I do suspect that when presented with that question that the answer will be "as cheap as possible - within reason".

Reply to
Richard Colton

After a potential intruder was trying several back doors in the village in the last few weeks, I just got a Swann 445502, 2 camera system with 1 TB DV R currently on offer from Maplin and Screwfix. 1080p wide angle cameras (8

0 deg) with IR illumination plus the DVR is web enabled (ethernet) and lets you monitor all the video feeds on your iPad, Android etc. The IR LEDs have a bit narrower beam than the camera FOV but not too bad a compromise.
Reply to
therustyone

CCTV used to be based on coax cable with dedicated recorders (DVR). However, this is now superseded by IP based systems.

Recently, I have built a 6 camera system, based on the Samsung SNO-L6013R. These are Cat5 IP and include Infra-Red (IR) for night vision.

A PC can be used for monitoring and motion capture (with iSpy for example), and/or the cameras can store motion capture on a micro SD card and their own software (SmartVision) can be used for play back.

Fit some extra IR lights too.

WeeBob

IR lights attract scroats like moths to a flame, indeed mount some extra IR illuminators and mount pinhole or concealed cams, where scroat is laible to be trying to disable visible cams and lights...

pay less though, before pound crashes further

IP/Network cams much better bet than analogue cams nowadays unless lag is an issue.

Used a few of these, need a passive PoE power adaptor , a bracket and some self amalgamating tape. Been reliable.

CMS software supplied with cam fubctions well, but dedicated NVR more reliable long term choice.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Recordings to be used in evidence?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Possibly I suppose. Depends on the requirements and legalities.

Reply to
Richard Colton

I have failed to see any reference to PoE in the link. Further, I would like a camera that, when motion is detected, can record the picture on a samba network drive.

Reply to
Michael Chare

suggest the cheapest camera you can get, lowest resolution and very grainy images ........... because every time CCTV footage is shown after a burglary that is what is available.

Reply to
rick

Nonsense. Analogue HD via coax to a DVR is the best system.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

As it is a business, why diy it? If the problem is really a problem, get a professional installer in.

Richard

Please explain?

I know lag can be a problem with IP cameras but I have also found reviewing footage can also be a bit slow. Can the disc from a DVR/NVR be swapped and viewed with software like VLC at high speed?

To my mind the cameras and infra red illumination are a deterrence.

What I would like to add is a few simple things like door/gate open detectors and PIR activated lights with recording of time stamps so the DVR can be viewed for that time, sounding an alarm in the house. Does such a thing exist?

Also a few cameras without infra red in strategic well lit areas.

AJH

Reply to
news

Yes