Outdoor security camera system advice

Hi all,

I am looking to install some security cameras outside my house. After doing some research., there seems to be so many types and systems on offer. I am not looking for anything too sophisticated just something with a decent pi cture quality such that you can see peoples faces/ number plates etc. etc. in both day light and pitch black.

My house is fully wired with cat6 cable connected to a Gbit switch and I ha ve a couple of servers (linux) which are always on. My broadband speed is not great (around 1mb upload, 6 download).

The system itself

----------------- In trying to find the best option, I guess ideally I would like to use my h ome network/ servers etc. as it feels like I would have more flexibility go ing forward with software options, backing up to the cloud, remote access e tc. If I went down this route, what sort of camera would I use? I haven't found any external USB cameras. I have found wireless cameras but have hea rd you have to be careful that they are not hackable/ blocked.

Almost all systems I have come across seem to have their own system, softwa re etc. Also it looks like the cameras are connected via a coax type conne ctor and some power leads. Assume there is a good reason why people don't d o what I was thinking about?

The cameras

----------- What sort of spec should I look out for to get decent enough pictures to he useful? There are lots of HD, H.265 (?) and you seem to get a distance fo r night time vision (is this the right thing to use?). etc.

Any pointers as to how to narrow down my search and advice greatly apprecia ted.

thanks in advance

Lee.

Reply to
leenowell

Check out Ubiquiti

I've got the external grade one on test inside and:

1) It's solid;

2) The picture quality is good (I have the IR extender ring for when I move it outside)

3) The Unifi video software is free and runs nicely on my linux server (you can get it in ready to run NVR appliance format too).

The cameras *can* work without the NVR - direct web and RTSP are supported.

It needs PoE (24V passive, but comes with an 802.3af/at converter) and the people that sell them will also sell a full PoE injector if your switch can't manage it.

Stay away from Hikvision - unreliable crap IME.

Reply to
Tim Watts

number

pictures

To read number plates you'll need true (not upscaled) full HD (1920 x

1080) or better resolution. Full HD will allow reading of plates up to about 25 feet. At night the retro reflection of any light source near the camera will cause the plate to burn out.

Go for some form of IP camera forget coax. Use proper PoE and it's just one cable to the camera.

No such thing, still needs power...

If you dig about you can find some quite high spec outdoor cameras for around £100 (or could last time I looked). I have a HikVision indoor, it works and is reliable, however HikVision aren't very good when it comes to the firmware. One "upgrade" introduced some things that either broke or badly damaged some of the fuctionality, down grading was a nightmare. Several modern browsers can't display the video stream any longer, this "broke" quite a while ago and has there been a fix? No.

Also have Vivotek IB8369, outdoor. Quite chunky, 9" long 3" dia ish but thick ali, well engineered, 'O' ring seals, stainless steel screws etc. Again that just works. The IB8369 might have been superceeded now but if the build quality has remained the same on newer models...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Harry Bloomfield writes

Wow. Our postie only ever delivers from the same depot ...

Reply to
Graeme