Careful, it's heavy!

Reply to
Liam Roberts

And those people should be allowed to damage themselves. And while you're at it, delete the NHS so they have to pay to be fixed.

Reply to
Liam Roberts

I've seen plastic bags too small to get your hand in that warn you of suffocation. Just how small are some people's heads?

Reply to
Liam Roberts

Anybody having to read that instead of just working it out for yourself as you start to lift it really doesn't belong in the human race. We're supposed to have brains.

And there is no f****ng way 3kg could be a limit for anyone unless they have Parkinsons disease or something.

Reply to
Liam Roberts

Gerbil lives matter too.

Reply to
Mickey Moose

You're not a good liar, either.

Reply to
Meanie

There's an astonishing bit of video from, I guess, the 1920s showing an American labourer shifting 2 cwt sacks (of grain?) from a shoulder height conveyer belt and loading them on to a flatbed lorry a few paces away. One sack every few seconds. He is a big bloke, maybe 6 foot 6 inches and a good 17 stone. It's clearly arranged so that he doesn't really do any lifting, just a bit of lowering.

Reply to
newshound

Hadn't spotted that. I need to work on my filters....

Reply to
newshound

It's only common sense to lift things correctly. We shouldn't have to be taught.

Reply to
Liam Roberts

I'm a very good liar, but in this case I wasn't lying. Which means you're not very good at telling if something is a lie.

Reply to
Liam Roberts

It doesn't say keep away from pets, just babies and young children.

Reply to
Liam Roberts

It's not the carrying it's the intial picking up and back strain. You can observe this on the worlds strongest man, I never needed a special belt around me in order to carry heavy things .

Reply to
whisky-dave

Do us all a favour and publish all of them

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No. Bad logic that.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

You don't need to be that bright to know that when you start picking something up it's rather heavy for you. Let's say you try to pick something up which is beyond your abilities. But you don't know it's that heavy by looking at it. As soon as you start to lift it, even if it hasn't left the floor, you can easily tell the weight, and that you won't be able to comfortably lift it. All you do is ask a colleague to help.

Reply to
Liam Roberts

I guess I better knock off the Romanian deadlifts...

Reply to
rbowman

I've said this before... Late '40's, grain sacks were supplied by the local railway. Filled to the brim with Wheat from the threshing m/c and stitched shut, they weighed 2.1/4cwt. Raised to shoulder height by a manually powered sack lift they were carried by a farm labourer to a dry barn. Not unlikely up a ladder as well.

No H&S and with female labour about, a great deal of exhibitionism.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

And a lot more work achieved.

Ooooh hot sweaty girls taking off clothing.....

Reply to
Liam Roberts

Is that a technique or are you lifting Romanians?

Reply to
Liam Roberts

Bit late then isn't it.

Not everyones abilities are the same and it asldo depend on the physical size and shape, due to centre of gravity. This is why when the post room wants me to collect something they give me a clue as to the size and weight. Will a carrier bag hold it or should I bring a sack barrow or trolly or another person.

Maybe that's why they include the weight as an indication on boxes and the like.

Not until it;s left the floor you can't

Define comfortably ?

Help in what way ? Where do you think the phrase it's the last straw that breaks the camels back come from .

Reply to
whisky-dave