12v Tyre inflator/compressor recommendations

I have one of these

I doubt I paid that much for it about 8 years ago, it does have screw-on end, but I find that ok compared to the 90° cam lever type, gauge is accurate.

I wish I'd 'accidentally' kept the compressor that was standard equipment on the Honda I used to own.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Which was very similar to this

Andy Burns

The comment I came across with screw-on is that it was impossible to remove without losing air - is that not the case?

And, does "Range of adaptors included to inflate balls, toys and other inflatable items" include Presta bicycle valves?

Reply to
AnthonyL

I just bung a really cheap halfords one in the back of the car.

My bike tyree are identical so screw on isn't a problem. The motrors are a bit weedy so they take longer to inflate than connect, anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've got two. One runs from a car battery - the other is part of a jump start pack which I tend to use most as it's so easy. Both have got hopeless gauges for car tyres. Too inaccurate. I'd guess because they can read very much higher for bicycle etc tyres.

I also have one which came with my car - no spare wheel. That has a very accurate inline gauge. (the others are built into the body) But since it also plugs into the car battery, not so handy as the cordless one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes I have one of they and it is good. I also have one of these

the motorhome. It's absolutely super. Well worth the money.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I meant to say that this type draws a lot of current. Not really suitable for cigar lighter connectors unless they are adequately fused.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I have something very similar to the second for my Renault Master horse-box. Mine has a double piston, it looks like that one does not.

The cheap ones sometimes on offer with petrol are a bit weedy for cars IMHO. The one which comes with my Honda is sort of in-between as someone else said.

That said, my "big" one cooked its fuse last time I used it, and one of the croc clips fell off. On investigation the soldering of both parts was very inadequate. No problem to the average follower of this NG of course.

Reply to
newshound

Mine is very like this

half the price of the Ring.

Reply to
newshound

I make a point of running the engine while using it

Never blown one yet, generally run the inflator from the 'cigar' socket in the boot, maybe they expect you to pull plenty of juice from that one?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Looks good, but I think the 'digital dial' is a lie ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have a selection of cheapish inflators. When I had to pump up the tyres on a 4-Land-Rover-wheeled trailer, I used an Aldi 4-way cigar lighter adapter as an extension cable for one of them.

It got too hot to touch, and its cable insulation started to melt.

Reply to
Bill

I've got an identical one - not sure where I bought it or what brand it is (and I can't be bothered to go out in the cold and find out!)

Your over-inflate and deflate method with a known accurate gauge is the same as I do.

Before we moved, I used to use it in the street and, as it wandered round due to vibration, when I did the wheels on the kerb side of the car, it would invariably post itself onto the gutter and up against the tyre!

If I needed to replace it, I'd be happy with that Silverline one but if you want to go up-market, that's entirely up to you.

Reply to
Terry Casey

I recently bought a Ring RAC900 and I like it a lot. It's very fast (flat to 30psi in a car tyre in something like 60 seconds). Aside from the price (which does seem to reflect quality, in this product), the main drawback is that you ought not to use it via a ciggie lighter socket; current draw can exceed wiring/fuse capability of such sockets, as others have said.

I run my Ring RAC900 from a deep discharge tolerant Yuasa gel battery and it works well. The little Yuasa fits in the holdall that the pump comes with, so it all makes a very convenient package.

The overall price tag of pump plus battery might seem a bit much for some, but I simply became exasperated by footpumps failing on me and cheap leccie ones being just useless.

What is it with footpumps falling apart? I remember my dad, more than 30 years ago, swearing that he would never buy another Halfords footpump (but he did, because all other options were just as crap). I have spent the last 30 years following in my father's footsteps in this regard. I actually kept a back-up, brand new pump, still in its box, in the boot. Low tyre pressure a few weeks back and my main pump fell to bits, so the back-up came into play....only it didn't. No falling to bits this time, but no delivery of air, either! That was the last straw.

Ant .

Reply to
anonymousrapscallion

Foot pumps with leather piston washers can dry out and thus fail to seal.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I just purchased a "used" one (branded Vauxhall) from Ebay that previously had been supplied with a car with no spare tyre.

Reply to
alan_m

It's always been the case. The amount of air lost if you're reasonably quick about it is insignificant though.

Tim

--

Reply to
Tim+

well, it's got digits on it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

sticking a few drops of oil into them often works. It does the job of piston rings.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr