12v Tyre inflator/compressor recommendations

I have 2 of these:

Seems accurate compared to my tyre pressure gauge and being able to set a target pressure is nice. Compact and comes with a simple zip around case.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I can't remember the current that was drawn. It blew a 5A fuse serving the cigar lighter but I think not a 10A one?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I have used a twin barreled footpump for many years. I uase a separate digital gauge. Matching the pressures on an axle is more important than absolute accuracy. Repeatability.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

As recent as 20-25 ish years ago you could still buy UK manufactured 'dunlop' footpumps with a steel frame and a brass cylinder, with leather seals. Single and dual cylinder models were available. They were not cheap but they last for decades with little more than a dismantle of the cylinder every few years and a lubrication of the seal and bore with some vegetable based oil.

--

Reply to
The Other Mike

I still have mine, bought in the 60's. However, it's been pensioned off in favour of a Michelin branded electric one.

Reply to
charles

ISTM they are all pretty much shit. Buy and throw away. They are not intended for regular use just something to use if you notice your tyre is a bit flat. Saves you getting the spare out. Assuming you have one these days. Mine has an assortment of adaptors which I have never used. It has an LED pressure display which seems pretty much accurate.

Reply to
harry

Had one of those, getting a seal on the valve stem was trickly until I found a small O ring... then the plastic nozzle broke. Now use an all metal plunger type.

Agreed numbers are just numbers, repeatability so an indicated 35 always represents the same absolute pressure. Also need to get the pressure right for even tyre wear.

The last two cars I've had the "book" front pressures have been 2 psi too low for even tyre wear. At the book pressure both shoulders wore faster than the middle, noticable after a 1000 miles or so, obvious after 3k. 2 psi above "book" pressure and wear is even across the full tread width. The "book" pressure for the rears is correct when set with the same gauge as used for the front, os it's not the gauge.

Also need to keep half an eye on the ambient temperature as well. Correct tyre pressure when "cold" in the summer at 20+ C, won't give the correct tyre pressure in the winter when "cold" at 0 C... That sort of ambient temperature range makes about 3 psi difference on my releatively high voloume tyres. Checked last week, in the cold and all four where about 3 psi low, IIRC one has a very slow leak but all four all suddenly gaining an identical slow leak, I don't think so...

Having large volume tyres I've got a somewhat chunkier electric pump than most (a cheapy didn't survive running for 10 minutes/tyre to top up a few psi). Sealey MAC2300.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice