Careful, it's heavy!

What's the world coming to? I just bought 2 bags of seed for my parrots. Each one is 12.75kg. I picked both up at once and carried them easily, yet each ONE says on the back, "it is recommended two people carry this bag together". I find it very hard to believe I'm 4 times stronger than the average person.

Reply to
Kristy Ogilvie

you're not

Reply to
invalid unparseable

They're using a form of "vanity sizing".  If you feel better about yourself now, it worked.

George

Then the warning on the bag is erroneous.

Reply to
Kristy Ogilvie

No, it just annoys me that anyone could think lifting 12.75kg could be harmful. We'll have warning notices mandatory on all doorhandles next, reminding us not to push too hard incase we sprain our shoulders.

If clothing has the wrong size on it, they'll lose custom. If I buy something expecting a certain size, and it isn't, so it's of no use to me, I return it, get a refund, and never buy their badly made clothes again.

Reply to
Kristy Ogilvie

it's to protect employees it cuts down on compensation claims

Reply to
invalid unparseable

do they all get an hour off to cry

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Because this is pussy weak sue happy society where people are too engrossed in their electronic devices and expect everything catered to them. When they walk into a water fountain at a mall because their face is embedded in their smartphone, they sue the mall for negligence.

I f****ng hate liberals.

Reply to
Meanie

It depends on how far you want to carry them.

Reply to
Max Demian

Anyone with a brain will know when they feel tired.

Reply to
Kristy Ogilvie

I agree with your post in its entirety, and (assuming you're American) am surprised that you would object to the blame culture your country invented. Unfortunately the UK copied it and most of us seem to have forgotten the time when we laughed at Americans for silly things like that woman suing McDonalds because she didn't think coffee would be hot, thought it was ok to place it next to her reproducing equipment, and tried to drive while in that position. If I was the judge I would have removed her driving license.

Reply to
Kristy Ogilvie

Agreed.

I once picked up 4 boxes (which weren't even heavy at all) and the secretary said, "You'll cause a health and safety issue". My reply was, "Don't you mean I might drop it on my foot? Please speak to me in English". She was lost for words.

Reply to
Christopher McVitie

They get more than an hour off when the shop sells less clothing as it doesn't fit anybody.

Reply to
Christopher McVitie

they just raise the prices and have a that sized people sale

Reply to
invalid unparseable
[snip]

At that age, I was often carrying 50 pound bags of dog food. I remember what carrying one felt like, and use that memory when deciding how heavy something feels.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

One of your biggest mistakes as a Brit is assuming. Other than the correct assumption of me being American, many of you assume and judge all Americans as the same based on what you hear/read about our nation and the idiocy of our government and judicial system, and you're wrong. Also keep in mind, that idiocy runs rampant within many cultures, including the UK. I don't assume you're all the same.

Reply to
Meanie

Parrots? Sweet Jesus is this another Sword incarnation? Maybe not since he would have no problem believing he was 4 times stronger.

Reply to
rbowman

Are you still wearing the same size you did 30 years ago, thank vanity sizing. If you were wearing nappies 30 years ago, your time will come.

It really works in reverse. I don't know how womens' sizes work but men's are nominally the waist circumference. If you buy size 36 jeans from XXX and they don't fit, you switch to YYY. In fact XXX jeans are really 36" and YYY jeans are 38 in the real world but you feel XXX is skimping. If you see 'relaxed fit' all bets are off.

Reply to
rbowman

If you dig into the facts of the case it wasn't that blatant. The woman was 79 and her grandson was driving. He was parked as she attempted to pry the lid off to add creamer and sugar. There was no cup holder so she was holding the cup between her knees. She poured 190 degree coffee on her crotch and suffered third degree burns, requiring 8 days of hospitalization and a skin graft.

She asked for $20,000 to cover her medical expenses and her daughter's loss of income nursing her through her convalescence. McDonald's offered $800 and they were off to the races.

The crux of the plaintiff's presentation was McDonald's kept their coffee at 180-190 degrees, much hotter than anyone else.

Frivolous lawsuit? Yes but McDonald's could have saved themselves a lot of money by not stonewalling at $800. Apparently they never read 'The Art of the Deal'.

Reply to
rbowman

What a stupid pointless wrangle. A misuse of Usenet.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright