Heavy boxes

What is it with putting warnings on boxes to say they're heavy? You'll find out when you try to lift it! If you've got a bad back you just wouldn't. You can feel the weight as you grab it ffs.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Do you sell the parrot's.

Reply to
The Todal

You assume you are picking it up off the floor, rather than say pulling it toward you off a shelf.

Reply to
John Rumm

What is it with putting warnings on boxes to say they're heavy? You'll find out when you try to lift it! If you've got a bad back you just wouldn't. You can feel the weight as you grab it ffs.

That's heath and safety at work for you, even airlines do it. STWNFI had her bag labelled "heavy lift" by Quantas.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

ind out when you try to lift it! If you've got a bad back you just wouldn' t. You can feel the weight as you grab it ffs.

I get calls from the postroom and another section to collect parcels, I lik e to know what weight or size they are so I know whether or not to take a p lastic bag, a low loader or a sack barrow. Here we also have equality so wo men can only carry post not parcels, which are for us men to carry so the w omen can only read what it says on the outside of the boxes so phone me up to collect them.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I've also seen in the past, heavy uneven load with one of those little squat Japanese blokes and a fork lift with a box half toppled over beside him.

I'd suggest some new labels. Only pick up if you have long arms, And one to help all those who cannot read use no hooks, suggesting idiots get a senior person before handling. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

When water coolers with those big round inverted bottles were introduced, they were labelled that no-one over 50 should change the bottles. But it was OK for our very petite lady clerk in her 40's to do it.

Still, you know what they say about rules.....

Reply to
newshound

I was in my 50s when I spend a few weeks delivering water. Those bottles weigh 19kg and kept me fit. I once had to carry 20 up four or five flights in a building with no lift.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

l find out when you try to lift it! If you've got a bad back you just woul dn't. You can feel the weight as you grab it ffs.

like to know what weight or size they are so I know whether or not to take a plastic bag, a low loader or a sack barrow. Here we also have equality s o women can only carry post not parcels, which are for us men to carry so t he women can only read what it says on the outside of the boxes so phone me up to collect them.

Isn't a lady in her 40s under the age of 50 ?, or were you refering to her bust size ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Women claim they are equal, make them carry the heavy boxes or sack them for being unfit for their job.

You don't need it written on the outside of the box. If you're next to the box, you can find out the weight by beginning to lift it.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

I've never seen that label anywhere I've worked, and all sorts of people change them - whoever is thirsty usually. They're not that heavy ffs.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

rote:

l find out when you try to lift it! If you've got a bad back you just woul dn't. You can feel the weight as you grab it ffs.

like to know what weight or size they are so I know whether or not to take a plastic bag, a low loader or a sack barrow. Here we also have equality s o women can only carry post not parcels, which are for us men to carry so t he women can only read what it says on the outside of the boxes so phone me up to collect them.

for being unfit for their job.

can't do that with equal opportunities ;-)

Well no point in it written on the inside is their.

I'm not it's about 100 metres away. One the 3rd floor of another building I 'm on the 2nd floor of another building. The way to get the boxes is going through the fire exit, which I was stopped from doing yesterday by a workma n as they tried to work out how come two bits of scaffold fell of the build ing works onto the floor of the fire escape route.

Can you tell me how much this will weigh by lifting it.

would a sack barrow be OK.

I might have two boxes to collect, but they have a womens name written on t hem so I can't even tell if they are for me or not until I open them up. So I'm leaving them where they are for now.

Reply to
whisky-dave

If they don't do the work the men do, it's not equal is it?

Then the person telling you to collect them can check the weight just as easily by partially lifting each one, than by reading each one.

Did you put them there to prop the firedoor open?

Why are they so bothered? What's the chances of them falling at the precise time there's a fire?

It's on wheels, a quick push would determine the weight.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

rote:

u'll find out when you try to lift it! If you've got a bad back you just w ouldn't. You can feel the weight as you grab it ffs.

, I like to know what weight or size they are so I know whether or not to t ake a plastic bag, a low loader or a sack barrow. Here we also have equalit y so women can only carry post not parcels, which are for us men to carry s o the women can only read what it says on the outside of the boxes so phone me up to collect them.

em for being unfit for their job.

Well I don't think so, but I'm not the one making up the equality rules am I.

ng I'm on the 2nd floor of another building.

easily by partially lifting each one,

I doubt you can tell the weight of the box by lifting up one corner.

reading each one what does that mean.

opped from doing yesterday by a workman as they tried to work out how come two bits of scaffold fell of the building works onto the floor of the fire escape route.

No they fell from the roof area I heard them fall, it was about midday when the rain/storm hit. I heard the clatter of things falling, but didn't know what it was at the t ime. We;re having a new 5 storey building being build within 50metres of me. I can hear/see an angle grinder doing its stuff.

ise time there's a fire?

Fires are rare, me going to collect the post isn't that rare. Anything from

1 parcel a week to 6 in a day. It is the escape route for the labs, student s and staff. Three weeks ago I had to use this route along with 20+ student s when the fire alarm went off on one of it's un-announced tests. They have annoucned tests every wednesday 8am when you are not expected to leave the building as it's just an alarm test rather than an evacuation test.

I'd have to use two lifts, it's in a box on a packing crete. I also have to drag it across bancroft road and along the street.

The man on the right is heading to the door to the CS building 3rd floor.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5232789,-0.0423385,3a,75y,149.93h,77.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0NUcuL3RM390LLmcxHygaA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The side entrance to my building where the 'workman in orange is siting'

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5230154,-0.0421853,3a,75y,71.72h,87.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sv5kYht8OLQU4hBu5npYYjg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I also know it has a vile on it to indicate the angle of it and that it mus t not tilt more than 30 degs of so. It's alos a delicate piece of equipment that should be dragged on it's whee ls across pavement and roads.

I'm suprised the google map is that recent but where the workman is sitting is now built up to about 3 floor levels.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Rules are for the obedience of fools.

That's not what I meant. And yes you can.

Reading the "heavy" notice on each one.

Then look where you're going. Still, you're only there for about 0.0001% of the day.

The more drills and tests you have, the less people will believe a real one is real.

My point is it's easy to tell when you're stood in front of it what's required.

Havering demolition :-)

Well things like that need notices. You can't tell how fragile something is by picking it up.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

I put a note on my door saying to put parcels in the shed if I'm out. W= hen that failed, I added "This includes the Royal Mail". When that fail= ed, I added "Would illiterate postmen please ask a neighbour for help?" = One of them made a complaint to the Royal Mail, which was ignored. Par= cels are now left in the shed.

-- =

Health and Safety Officer required to start ASAP, circa =A335K: Your main duties will include: Hampering other staff and preventing them from carrying on with their du= ties. Handing out huge quantities of pointless paperwork consuming approx 1 ra= inforest per year.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

rote:

You'll find out when you try to lift it! If you've got a bad back you jus t wouldn't. You can feel the weight as you grab it ffs.

els, I like to know what weight or size they are so I know whether or not t o take a plastic bag, a low loader or a sack barrow. Here we also have equa lity so women can only carry post not parcels, which are for us men to carr y so the women can only read what it says on the outside of the boxes so ph one me up to collect them.

them for being unfit for their job.

Yep if you look at the last googlemaps and do a 180 about turn you'll see m y manager collecting my parcels from the building CS building because women can only collect and deliver post not parcels, you can see a couple of par cels in his hand, because I refused to collect them. I said if he asked me to do so I'll get a T-shirt made up with the slogan "I'm as useless or usef ul as a women" and wear that to work.

lding I'm on the 2nd floor of another building.

as easily by partially lifting each one,

How you estimate it as a percentage of what exactly.

there wasn't a heavy notice on it. IIRC it said 160KG and a 30 degree indication, it didn't say it was heavy.

stopped from doing yesterday by a workman as they tried to work out how co me two bits of scaffold fell of the building works onto the floor of the fi re escape route.

when the rain/storm hit.

recise time there's a fire?

I knew where I was going I wasn;t expecting scafolding falling from above, neither were the builders it appear.

and the others that work here, around 100 all in all. excluding teh students

o I had to use this route along with 20+ students when the fire alarm went off on one of it's un-announced tests. They have annoucned tests every wedn esday 8am when you are not expected to leave the building as it's just an a larm test rather than an evacuation test.

yep I know that, so do they I think. But without tests we won't know how lo ng it takes to evacuate the building or if there are any problems such as d oots locked etc...

But I wasn't in from of it. Doh.

does that mean anything to you, doesn;t to me i.e do you know someone that works there.

must not tilt more than 30 degs of so.

wheels across pavement and roads.

is by picking it up.

that's why they put notices on most things sometimes as warnings or informa tion sometimes as advertising you need to be able to judge which it is.

Reply to
whisky-dave

On 14/08/2015 10:21, whisky-dave wrote: ...

That is not equality, it is sexual discrimination. Refusing to give women particular jobs because of a strength requirement was highlighted as a specific case of sexual discrimination when the laws first came in.

Reply to
Nightjar

As you pull it towards you, you'd notice the force you have to exert to accelerate it.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Boxes are usually light. Is the warning about the contents of the box and should that warning be removed if the box is empty:-)?

Reply to
ARW