CAD for Electrical diagrams

Anyone know of a decent free downloadable CAD drawing system for electrical diagrams? Need 3 phase motors, contactors, no&n/c contacts etc to be able to draw a form of ladder logic for a control panel. I've down loaded a trial of EZ Schematics but it seems a lot of what I want I'd have to draw the symbols anyway. This is for non commercial use.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

DraftSite might be worth a look - the 2d version is free, but you have to register. They have a user library scheme so someone may have done what you want.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I use a free version of Paint Shop Pro 4 with a library of components that I drop in, eg

I found it easier to just create the symnbols that I needed as I went along than it was to find a CAD program that would do it for me acceptably.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Sorry - make that Draftsight.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

=A0 London SW

The file format is also compatible with AutoCAD.

Reply to
82045

Thought is was a DWG or DXF or summat.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

DWG is the AutoCAD proprietary drawing format - they don't release details. DXF is the AutoCAD public drawing format - published, but much bulkier than DWG DraftSight can read and write both of those - the DWG format has been reverse-engineered.

Note that DraftSight doesn't work with blocks in the same way that AutoCAD does. IIRC they are always local to the drawing, not saved as separate files. I'm not sure whether they can be in a library or not.

Reply to
mick