Triangle math problem

It's been way too many years since I was in a math class and need help.

If I have a triangle that has one side at 39ft, the 2nd side is 37 ft. and they meet at a right angle, how long is the third side? Many thanks!

Reply to
ok

53ft 9in

Here's where that came from:

a squared + b squared = c squared (Pythagorean theorem)

39 squared + 37 squared = c squared 1521 + 1369 = c squared = 2890 c = square root (2890) = 53.759
Reply to
Doug Miller

For a right triangle, the value of the hypotenuse is the square root of the sum of the two sides.

37 sq = 1369 39 sq = 1521 sum is 2890 sq root of 2890 - 53.75872

You can do the calcs with the calculater included in the Windows accessories, or just open up a new Excel spreadsheet and let it do the calculations. I normally do this type of calculation in an excel spreadsheet because I can track each item or make changes as necessary. Excel can be just a nice, visual calculator.

Regards --

Reply to
World Traveler

It's the square root of both sides squared, ?= sqrt of side one squared + side two squared. Its called the Pythagorean Theorem a2 + b2 = c2 . You need to take the square root of c2 to get c

In your case 53.75.

That'll be enough of that. We can't have everybody agreeing on something in this forum!

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K
39 x 39 = 1521 37 x 37 = 1369 Total = 2890 Square root of 2890 = 53.76 ft
Reply to
barbarow

On a calculator, 39, X, =, M+, 37, X, =, M+,MR, square root key. Learn it. It is easy, and you will use it often.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB
1500th reply, w00tness!

We all know about Pythagoras and his famous theorem, but did you know that the same principle was discovered in what is now America? Centuries ago, an explorer found himself in an Indian village. He taught the people there various things about his culture, and in turn learned many things about theirs. But he was perplexed by one thing - the three wives of the village's chief. One was sitting on a buffalo hide, and wore very plain clothes and little jewelry, as did the second, who also sat on a buffalo hide. But, next to them, there was a woman sitting up high on the carcass of a hippopotomus, and she had nothing but the finest clothing, jewelry, respect, et cetera. The explorer asked the chief why she was held in much higher regard than the others, and the chief replied, "Don't you know anything about math? The sum of the squaws of the two hides is equal to the squaw of the hippopotomus!"

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Several hundred years ago in North America, there lived a tribe of Native Americans. It so happened that three young squaws of the tribe found themselves expecting children. It was their tradition that the first surface touched by a new born baby should be that of an animal skin procured for the occasion. And so it happened that the three young bucks responsible went out on a hunt for birthing skins for their squaws.

A few days later, the three men returned after a successful hunt with their birthing skins and food for the tribe. The first buck had bagged a deer, and the second had killed a bear. The third buck had spotted a huge animal swimming in a river, and harvested a rare American hippopotamus.

More time passed, and the blessed events came, all at the same time. The three squaws prepared to give birth. The first squaw gave birth to a baby boy on the deer skin. The second squaw gave birth to a baby girl on the bear skin. The third squaw gave birth to twins, a boy and a girl, on the hippopotamus skin.

And so even in ancient America they knew that ... The squaw of the hippopotomus is equal the sum of the squaws of the other two hides.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

53.75872ft....I get the same results with my cad system.

Still working on that seven sided gazebo though--those darned rafters, you know.....

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

......53.759 feet, if the squaw on the hippopotamous equals the sons of the squaws on the other two hides.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

You'll get some good, and some weak replies. This is 2005, so you are saved form this bother. Get a simple freeware or shareware CAD program and draw the thing; no calculation needed. I swear by DeltaCad, and you can download a trial run. "Dimension" one point to another and you are given the result on the drawing. I know a ton of old techniques for calculating and drawing, and I use the CAD program to save time and effort ...or can switch to pen and paper if necessary.

Reply to
Guess who

a² + b² = c²

39² + 37² = c² 1521 + 1369 = c² 2890 = c² v 2890 = 53.758720222862448643981190255356'
Reply to
PhotoMan
52 ft
Reply to
barbarow

Reply to
barbarow
53.758720222862448643981190255356'

LMAO

The OP gave significant figures in feet. Any answer more precise than

53ft-9in is overkill. In fact 54feet is adequate given the accuracy of the original values.

(this was for the poster who didn't like everyone agreeing)

Reply to
PipeDown

| > 37 sq = 1369 | > 39 sq = 1521 | > sum is 2890 | > sq root of 2890 - 53.75872 | >

| > You can do the calcs with the calculater included in the Windows | > accessories, or just open up a new Excel spreadsheet and let it do the | > calculations. I normally do this type of calculation in an excel | > spreadsheet because I can track each item or make changes as necessary. | > Excel can be just a nice, visual calculator. | >

| | 53.75872ft....I get the same results with my cad system. | | Still working on that seven sided gazebo though--those darned rafters, you | know..... | | -- | | SVL |

CAD system to solve a simple Pythagorean theorem?? hahaha.. it's a little overkill, isn't?

Reply to
Ron

square root of ("39" squared + "37" squared) = 53 feet, 9 inches

Not necessarily. When I was calculating the diagonal to square up our

40'x40' foundation forms, I came up with 56 feet, 6-3/4 inches. I'm sure the 3/4" was a bit more accurate than I needed to be over that distance, but I sure wouldn't have wanted to round that off to 57 feet.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband