Beam math

I'm planning on removing a load bearing wall, so I've been doing some preliminary investigation. Don't worry I'll have an engineer when I can find one willing to do a small job.

The wall in question is about 16' and is located on the main floor of a two story house. The basement has a 20' steel beam (W10x30) in the same location. I was concerned that placing the end post of the upstairs beam 4' from the end of the basement beam would stress the steel beam too much. So I plugged the numbers (1200 * 20 vs 1200 * 4 + 9600 + 9600) into a couple of beam programs and discovered that the deflection numbers actually decreased. I must be missing something here?

Reply to
William Pounds

Concentrating the loads near the ends of the basement beam reduces that beam's deflections.

Brian W

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Check the shear - it might be the limiting condition. Also even if the shear checks out, web stiffeners might be advisable.

Reply to
rich

It is unlikley that shear or web stiffeners are required on a W10x30.

-rob

Reply to
Rob Munach

I thought you'd say some thing like if you have one bottle of Jim Beam you get a lot of friends and some work done. Two bottles, you get more friends and less work.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks for the responses.

Shear seems OK. According to the #s the beam is marginal in it's original configuration, although we've never experienced any significant bounce. My

1200 figure ((40L + 30L + 30D) *12) is probably 10% over code though.
Reply to
William Pounds

Most residential beams rarely see much over the structure dead load. I think I read that the average occupancy live load in a house is 6 psf. Additionally, the more stories a beam carries, typically, the less it bounces due to damping from walls etc.

-rob

Reply to
Rob Munach