math retard

Forwarded from a private conversation with Dave Leader. I've gotten my trumpet back out. All kinds of long story there, but the relevant bit is that I made a shop built music stand out of junk. I recently decided to improve upon the original by replacing the "music rack" portion with a new one that's not as tall, and is much wider. It's 36" wide and 12" tall, made out of 3/4" oak plywood from a gigantic 8'x 7'x 18"ish library magazine rack I picked up for $2.50 and whacked apart to yield a supply of

18" wide, 8' long chunks of plywood.

The music stand is a good use for the stuff. It's grafted onto the top of an old, broken coat rack through a bastardized combination of angle iron, walnut scraps, pop rivets and bolts. Uglier'n a dog's rear end, but it works, and it's the biggest ass bigass music stand this side of the Pecos. Wherever the Pecos is. I have a math retard question later on down.

(Dave said:)

Does it spread and shrink along the long axis, where the inverted > "L"s come together? Seems like a way to change the size easily.

No, it's glued. This is a more representative piece of ASCII art. (To the Wreck, what kind of joint is this anyway? Lapped dooflatchie, rabid rabbit, half rabbited rabbet or rabbeted rabbit or rebated rabeted rabbit with a half lapped dooflatchie, or what? I lost my encyclopedia of joinery.)

^ | ]]]]]]]] ]]]]]]]] ]]]]]]]] ]]]]]]]] ]]]]]]]] ]]]]]]]] ]]]]]]]] ]]]]]]]] ]]]]]]]] ]]]]]]]] ]]]]]]]] ]]]]]]]] ]]]]]]]] [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ]]]]]]]] [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ]]]]]]]] [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

Making it expandable would actually be rather involved. I've been thinking about cutting out the middle 24" and using dowels or something to reattach the "wings" but it's probably not worth it.

If it's boingy, why not hinge a couple legs off the top corners so > that the top edge is supported better.

I'm trying to come up with something like that, yup. I'm thinking instead of legs going to the floor, which presents all kinds of bracing problems, I might just do something like this:

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] \ | / \ | / make the ends closer.

Yeah. Wrap 3/4" oak plywood. That ought to be easy to bend. :)

Nah, I'll just have to wear my glasses. This thing is already a done deal, and it's fine. Actually, it's boingy, but it doesn't seem in any danger of falling over under its own weight, and it's not tippy. I have the top part leaned back at the shallowest angle I could cut without resorting to doing it freehand, which wasn't the same as the original angle at all.

Reminds me. Math retard here. The interface between the back of the stand and the coat rack portion is something like this:

(Part A is the piece of walnut with a slant on top that's bolted to the rest of the contraption that transitions from the lug on top of the coat rack onto the huge L shaped piece of plywood that holds the music.)

\\\ \\\ \ \\\ |\ \\\ | \ \\\ | \ \\\ | \ \\\ | | \\\ | A | \\\

I used my sliding bevel thing to measure the angle of the original piece, and it was 155 degrees outside, 25 degrees inside. Something close to that. Miter gauge does 25, but I couldn't figure out how to cut something at 25 to make it work for part A. Seems I ought to have been able to do some kind of inverted angle inverse tangent cosine cubed square root of Pi thing to make that come out right. The miter gauge doesn't do 155 obviously.

I settled for 60, which put quite a lot more leanback on the "music rack" part of the stand than I intended. Although, as it turns out, that was probably not a bad thing, as at least stuff has much less of a tendency to fall forward off of the thing now.

(I should post this to the Wreck.)

So where's the question buried in there? How do I cut a 155 degree angle on top of the pointy piece of wood without rigging up some contraption? Or do I need to rig up some contraption?

And heck, now that I've posted about this thing, now I feel like I oughta go make a prettier one. This one really is an ugly conglomeration of random pieces of junk, and no two pieces have the same finish (or lack thereof.) OTOH, it works, and it's already in service, and I'm brooooooooooooooooooooooooooke, and I don't have any wood anyway. This would be hard to make out of plywood (the legs and stuff).

Reply to
Silvan

Got some oak you can have. It needs indoor conditioning, but it has dried outdoors for almost 3-1/2 years.

Email me after cleaning my address up.

I'm back in Bedford.

Charlie Self "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." John Kenneth Galbraith

Reply to
Charlie Self

(pa)

Was it a damn long drive?

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

AAvK asks:

Let's just say it's not a problem. Silvan lives in Blacksburg, VA. I live in Bedford, VA, though as a kid, I did live for a short time in Bedford, NY.

Charlie Self "Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them." George Orwell

Reply to
Charlie Self

Silvan wrote: [snip]

Just wanted to say welcome back to bedlam. In making weird angles, I usually make a contraption to do it. Unfortunately, I also tend to save these "one-use" jigs just in case I should ever need it again. It's like having a pile of unuseable firewood.

Another suggestion is to talk to Charlie. Snag the oak he offered. Better yet, get Charlie to make the contraption for you. He has nothing better to do anyway. :-)

mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Sylvan wrote:SNIP>So where's the question buried in there? How do I cut a 155 degree angle on

Use a taper jig? Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

Silvan wrote in news:h9Wdnbv4oIRS6 snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

Ain't gonna answer any of your questions, but...

Welcome back, old friend! It's always a breath of fresh air when you post your stream of conciousness, voyage of discovery, built this stuff out of what I found posts.

They generally get my creative juices going.

Goodonya!

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Bet there's a magazine article in there somewhere!

Reply to
patrick conroy

jo4hn responds:

You got that right. These days, I'm seldom working on more than four articles at a time. RIght now, though, five, so he's got more hope of dropping by to collect some oak.

Charlie Self "Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them." George Orwell

Reply to
Charlie Self

found very useful when needing to figure out information about various kinds of angles.

Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Hey Michael, you remember what Mr. Robinson (was it?) told Dustin Hoffman?

If you need width on a music stand, make it normal width and pretty, but buy a cheap, w i d e plexiglass extension for the top. It's what we use in the studio to cut down on page turning noise. Best of both worlds.

Keep on pickin' ...

Reply to
Swingman

I oughtta do something like that indeed, now that you mention it. My new trumpet teacher (more of a play together and drink beer companion than a true pedagogue but it's nice getting out of the house anyway) works at a glass place.

Reply to
Silvan

:)

I kinda got away from my roots there for awhile though. I was using real lumber to make pretty stuff. I even made a chess box out of walnut and maple and stuff. That seems like a long time ago. We had a little financial crisis right after I bought that stupid table saw, and then when we were finally doing OK, Jonathan dislocated his elbow. Ouch. Not only the pain and suffering, but the pain and suffering of the pocket book too. Ugh. So I bought that new saw, spent a month tweaking it up with a dial indicator and a scanning electron microscope, and then I ran out of wood money.

Or I guess more accurately, I ran out of air conditioner money. :) I had wood money a few times, but I never bought any because I didn't want to go work in 120 F heat. I guess that leaky, uninsulated shed^h^hop of mine is more tolerable in the winter after all. Easier to work at a cozy 45 on a

20 degree day than to put windshield wipers on the safety glasses to clear away all the sweat.

Kinda just got out of the groove for awhile too, I guess. I got my new Lee Valley catalog and I haven't drooled on any of the pages yet. I kind of feel like I either have enough tools already, or I can't really afford more than what I've got. Somewhere in between there. Probably it's fair to say I've lost the dream of a better shop for awhile, and I'm feeling a strong compulsion to make do with what I've got.

It's plenty. I managed to cross cut one of those 8' long 18" wide pieces of plywood on my new saw. I can rip stuff up to about 5' long. I can build some things out there. But I don't have room for anything else. I already have to move the jointer to use the workbench, and I have to suck in my butt to walk past the table saw and get to the drill press. 'Bout all I could really get worked up over at this point are planes ($$$) and lathe tools ($$$) so I'm afraid I won't be feeding Rob much cash this season.

Anyway, hey, my tools are all still gleaming, and it's not like I didn't have other things to do all spring and summer. I got a lot done on my book, and on Rosegarden. That's been a big wad of it right there. Got some yard stuff done, got a new car. (Oh yeah, that's part of why I'm so farkin' broke for sure, but whattaya gonna do? My Olds was almost 20 years old.) Went camping with the family a few times. It was a good summer.

Wandering back to my original point, I'd like to make another chess box, but it can wait. In the meantime, I'm back to my Junkyard Wars roots bayybe. Gimmie some junk and let's see what I can turn it into. :)

Reply to
Silvan

Maybe so at that. All the other comments I've made so far aside, now that I've given my son his first official trumpet lesson (now that we have two trumpets... there goes some more wood money right there, and I damn near spent my last penny to buy this horn, but it was worth it to be able to give him the gift of music, if he will receive it) I'm starting to think in terms of turning the den into a music room.

Off limits to smoking for starters (it's already the only place, and closed off from the rest of the house, FWIW), which would encourage me to quit the damn things, save $100 a month (not wood money, but pay off the damn medical bills faster money), and greatly improve my breath capacity at the same time. Then I build a second music stand all pretty like. Set up something nice.

My daughter wants to be a drummer, so I'll have a place for the drum kit we will eventually have to figure out how to pay for. That's cool. I want to be a drummer too. I can't have too many instruments. I love instruments, even if I suck at all of them. :)

Reply to
Silvan

It's just over the hill and through the woods and over the hill and through the woods and over the hill and through the woods from here.

Reply to
Silvan