Liquidambar styraciflua central leader

Hi,

Wonder what the consensus is on this.

We have a lovely young Liquidambar styraciflua 'Silver King', a little over 6 ft and putting on enthusiastic growth, already very showy.

Unfortunately the central leader was frost damaged and didn't sprout. There are now two good, competing leader candidates from 1 and 2 buds down.

Should I wait until the wood ripens a bit before cutting out the weaker one, or prune it now? My books are a little unclear here.

That's in Europe zone 8 (US 7). Thanks in advance.

-E

Reply to
Emery Davis

My method is to pinch back the weaker one and let the stronger one overtake it and then remove it when conditions don't foster disease. (between the frosts) This allows for a smaller wound as well.

Reply to
bamboo