Bosch washing machines?

Time for a new washing machine. Bought a Hotpoint as a distress purchase a few years ago, and the bearings have just gone for a second time - average life about 17 months, and the machine isn't worked that hard.
I will get into a dispute about it, but meanwhile will get a new machine to actually use.
I favour Bosch, as I can't afford a Miele (and certainly not their spares prices!) and I've had good experiences re spares supply and repair in the past.
I'd like to know the features/build quality etc. of the different ranges, really. The lowest priced range has sufficient features, but are they just a rebadged 'cheap make'? What are people's experiences?
I'd like to get a stackable pair (washer and dryer) but they seem increasingly rare. And no, I don't want a washer-dryer!
Thanks for any input
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

LG 7kg Direct Drive F1256QD
Plenty of reviews, we have two and are pleased with them. Only one moving part and ours has a 10 year motor guarantee, dont know if they still do it.
On 11/10/2011 22:30, Bob Eager wrote:

Hi Bob,
See this http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/ I am sure you will be aware of the site but just in case. There were some pages were the groups of machines were put together ...
Use google to search the site.
Cheers Charles (Dundee + OS/2)
PS. when in your position I seriously considered another Indesit as the previous died from a perforated drum after 17 years, and now being the cheapest stuff or a miele. I got a miele circa £800 at the time (a couple of years now?)
On 12/10/2011 00:14, Charles wrote:

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/about-the-appliance-industry/manufacturer-information.html
There seems to be expensive and crap with little in between and I fear this is because the lower end stuff uses all the same bits and the high end stuff makes their own. I was warned off LG as they tend to use direct drive and when the unit fails its a new machine. The snag is that one jam up and the motor does indeed fail. Brian
--
Brian Gaff - snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk
On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 00:14:49 +0100, Charles wrote:

Thanks....very useful. Not very keen on LG, are they?
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 00:14:49 +0100, Charles wrote:

Oh, *that* Charles! Nice to hear from you!
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
On 12/10/2011 00:43, Bob Eager wrote:

I hide the surname ... too much spam and too distinctive a surname. Good to see you are well, sorry you need to spend your money.
LGs are pretty looking machines (if there is such a thing on a washing machine). Yes good motors ... but they did not like their other things.
If you can find some of their pages about washing machines rather than manufacturers as such ... you will see machines which have non replaceable bearings etc. you must replace the complete drum (i.e. you throw the machine away). That is the stuff I was trying to find for you.
Panasonic (which also they don't think much of) gives a 6 year warranty from certain participating retailers. i.e. panasonic shops and a few others. I managed to push my panasonic shop to sell me a TV at richer sounds price ...+ five year panasonic warranty included. I am sure you would enjoy the barter. See http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/Washing+Machines/Overview/2134489/index.html
On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 01:03:37 +0100, Charles wrote:

That's what I saw...!

The current Hotpoint is like that - drum is > £120 complete. Fixed price repair last time was £98 inclusive so I went for that, but I won't keep doing that.

Overview/2134489/index.html
Will look.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

We've has one from the Logixx range (integrated) for 3 years without a hiccup. My Gran has a Clasixx and within months the door rubber warped and became out of shape quite badly, it is also much noisier than the Logixx we have, more so in terms of the pitch if that makes any sense at all? Ours is the WIS24140GB and it doesn't have anything fancy like LCD display etc, although a time remaining display would be helpful. It also seems to be more generous with water than most machines of the same capacity; it uses 75 litres for a standard 7kg Cotton wash @ 40c, 90 litres for a 90 wash due to the cool down action. Synthetics uses around 49 litres. My sister has a Varioperfect Excell machine but it hasn't been in operation in long enough for me to make a fair comparison.

On 11/10/2011 22:30, Bob Eager wrote:

Had one for the past few years - works well, no problems so far bar a new heater element at about year 5.

Bosch do a stacking kit IIRC...
e.g.
http://www.appliance-world.co.uk/Bosch_WTZ11300_Washing+Machine+Accessories.html
--
Cheers,

John.

The stacking kit will be made by the tumble dryer supplier, as it has to screw to the bottom of it. You then put the TD on top of the WM and do up the clamps on the stacking kit to clamp it to the WM. This proved easy on our old Bosch WM. The new Bosch WM has a rounded, plastic, compressible front edge so I had to pack the front of the SK with that rubber strip for insulating windows, and do up the clamps until tight enough rather that as much as I could.
--
Tim

On 12/10/2011 09:32, Tim Streater wrote:

There are some "universal" kits on ebay - although they still caution against curved front appliances.
--
Cheers,

John.

No you can buy a universal kit that works with springs to hold it in place. we have had one for a couple of years with a Bosch machine below and a Zanussi dryer above.
Jonathan
In article

Mmm, I didn't fancy one of those.
--
Tim

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 02:41:16 +0100, John Rumm

Haha. At that price, they can keep it. My t/d has been happily sitting on top of my Bosch for many years.

http://www.appliance-world.co.uk/Bosch_WTZ11300_Washing+Machine+Accessories.html
We have all Bosch appliances - washing machine is 10 years old and has tumble dryer stacked on it. Can't think of a reason to buy another make - Bosch is no longer expensive.

Our experience of v. heavy use is that Bosch tend to last 4-5 years before needing significant major part. By this time the mechanics of the things have tended to be shot, noisy or walking (probably due to overloading to be fair).
Another major issue is the removal of the high temperature wash. I know this is done in the name of "saving the planet" etc., but if you do anything to get sweaty (like DIY) clothes need a high temp wash frequently to kill bacteria. OK so you can go out and buy some additive to kill the bacteria, but this has used planetary resources in creation - so where's the saving?
Rant over
Phil

I'm forever having to manually(!) fix the outside drain from our kitchen (sink, dishwasher, washing machine). I suspect that low temperature washing is allowing the grease build up. A handful of washing soda and a kettle of boiling water every few weeks seems to stop it.
In article

Hmmm. Do you have a SWMBO who ignores attempts to get her to *not* put the liquid fat down the drain? A blocked drain at the house-before-last and video evidence at *this* house has sorted that here.
Fat from the d/w should be emulsified by the washing process.
--
Tim