Washing machine only or Washer Drier choice help please

Hi all,

I live in a Housing Association Sheltered Housing flat, a nice one that I appreciate.

They are fitting a new fitted kitchen soon, and for the first time I have the option to have my own washing machine fitted into the layout, me buying but fitted free by them.

In general would I be best with a Washer/drier or have a washer only fitted in the kitchen, then have a vented drier in the bedroom, the only place it could go?

I am a 66 year old man living alone who despite hoping for a lady partner do not think it will happen.

Thanks for any advice,

Mick.

Reply to
Mick.

This is mostly a matter of personal preferences. What washing setup do you have at the moment, and what are you happy/unhappy about it?

My preference is as follows...

I find the whole idea of a tumble drier rather wasteful, so I don't have one. Another possibility would have been a washer/drier with a drier that I hardly ever use, although washer/driers were less common when I bought my machine than they are now.

Instead, I go for a washing machine with a high spin speed (they all quote the spin drying effectiveness on labels nowadays), and then leave clothes to hang in airing cupboard for final drying. Obviously, that requires that you have an airing cupboard. I have enhanced my airing cupboard with a dehumidifier, and I can use that to quickly dry clothes if necessary. I would not plan on hanging clothes around the flat to dry them - that can cause damp in some buildings (unless you already know that works OK for you).

Obviously, if you had a young family with the washing machine going almost non-stop, or you don't have an airing cupboard, this wouldn't be so viable. Also, if you already have a drier facility, you may well wish to stick with what you're used to.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

IME washer/driers are rubbish. The drying only worked on my mate's (who I lodged with) if you did a half load. You could have a condensing dryer which has the advantage of throwing the heat back into the house (good in winter) - and not having to install a vent. IME, a *decent* make works well.

I bought a Hoover condensing dryer back in '98 or so, IIRC (might have been Hotpoint) - it was rubbish and did not do as claimed. I got the shop to take it back for a full refund after the fitter failed to fix it, twice. Replaced with a Bosch Logix which is over 12 years old and still going strong.

Regarding makes, IME, Bosch Logix (*not* the lower end Excell or Classix) are pretty solid and reasonably priced. Miele is more expensive but the engineering quality is one full level up and it shows in the performance of the machine.

Been very pleased with my Miele washing machine - consistently does a good job without fuss and is fairly quiet even on spin. That was a bottom of their range model and had similar features to the top of the Bosch.

Bosch are easy to get parts for online if you need to fix it. Haven't had to fix a Miele so can't comment there...

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

The main downside of a washer dryer, or really any tumble dryer, is the run cost. Vented ones cost far more than condensing types. Hanging clothes up to dry is much cheaper, as long as its not causing condensation & mould. OTOH the results arent as crease free.

OTOH a washer dryer gives you the option to do either as and when, if you dont mind the extra purchase cost.

For good longevity at fairly low price I'd suggest looking at a Bosch.

NT

Reply to
NT

Yes. Most washer dryers take a smaller load for the drying than the washing so you do have to remove some of the washing.

They teld to be less reliable than a washing machine. Standalone driers are pretty reliable. Condenser driers are good, but you may have to empty the water manually.

I'd only buy a washer-drier if there was no room for a dryer anywhere else.

Reply to
Mark

What Andrew says... A single bloke *can* survive without a dryer (I did for years) - even a clothes horse will sort them out in a day, especially as modern machines with high spin speeds are so much better than the older generation. Disadvantage - more condensation in the house.

Ironically, SWMBO keeps buying daft clothes that she won't allow me to tumble dry, so they get lobbed over doors here and there. But the amount the kids generate keeps the dryer busy. Hmm - must buy a washing line now the weather is better...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Hello Andrew, Thanks for replying. At the moment I can only use a communal washing room with disc operated washing machine and drier.

They do work well but sometimes have to keep going back to find the machine free from being used. As they are re doing my kitchen, I have the chance to have a machine included instead.

Thanks, Mick.

Reply to
Mick.

If you're used to a commercial drier, you will be extremely disappointed with a domestic drier. My first experience of a drier was a commercial one - chuck all the washing in, and dry in 5 minutes. Domestic ones don't come even close - can't take a full wash load, and take ages to dry, and you'll have to attend to empty and reload.

If you really needed some things dry quickly occasionally, you could still use the communal drier, presumably?

Don't want to put you off a drier if you really want one or haven't got anywhere to dry anything, but beware of the limitations of a domestic drier if you haven't used one.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

um, is this the right way round? It's just that the most expensive Bosch in Argos is an Exxcel - althought there are Logixx that are more expensive than the next Exxcel down.

Confused of Northampton.

Reply to
PeterC

Our drier is a gas one, /much/ lower running costs.

Reply to
<me9

No, the order from top to bottom is Logixx, Exxcel and Classix.

Reply to
Tim Watts

OK, ta. I keep looking longingly at 7kg machines but my AEG just keeps on going.

Reply to
PeterC

Half load at best I reckon. Never owned a washer drier, but those I have used have been totally pants at drying

I doubt that I'd feel the need for a drier if I was living in such a place on my own. As long as there is somewhere to hang it to dry out of the way.

Reply to
chris French

When I did a lot of work on my last GF's place, she insisted on having picture rail put up so that she could dry stuff. ~60' of rail should be enough for a full load.!

Reply to
PeterC

I used to have a White Knight small drier. They probably still do one.

Reply to
Mark

Thank you very much Mark, I will start searching on google. Mick.

Reply to
Mick.

There is another small option some of us use...

NT