Washing Machine Choice

My 18 years old Indesit has failed due to worn out motor brushes. At £16 for a set - and there is a bit of a rusty stain down the back of the outer drum, I am thinking that a repair may not be appropriate (I have managed to stretch a few weeks more out of the brushes whilst I ponder.)

Apart from the Miele fanatics, are there any makes / models that anyone would recommend - or suggest I avoid. Any 'badge engineering' that might lead to bargains? We are a family of 3 and use it fairly frequently - but we are unimpressed with elaborate programmes - a delay start is about the only thing I really wand. Have doubts about the value and longevity of LCD displays, etc.

I feel £250 is enough to shell out. Any ideas? My current Indesit is my second - the previous one only lasted 20 years before bearing failure and some rust on the drum caused me to ditch it.

John

Reply to
john

That doesn't sound like much to spend to keep a machine working. How cheap would they have to be before you thought it worth a try? CPC may have them cheaper.

That's probably a worn out drum bearing seal. It might eventually lead to failure of the drum bearing itself, if detergent makes it way in there and washes out the oil. OTOH, the bearing housing might be well enough designed to allow the leakage to drain out without getting into the bearings -- often there's a drain hole for exactly this reason.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Really I'm thinking 18 years is enough. Retirement looming large. Get a new one now. Next failure could be programmer / bearings, etc

Reply to
john

Model Indesit W823G - C E Set Motor. The brushes in

look similar. Not sure about holes. Mine are diagonally placed realtive to the dowels. Any views on lower range Bosch v Indesit?

Reply to
john

Look at:-

alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

They covered this a few days ago. Avoid Whirlpool AA1200.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

For White Goods spares, ring them up. Most are not listed in the catalogue, but they can still get them. (5 or 6 years ago, they used to do a separate White Goods catalogue, but that doesn't seem to exist anymore, probably because the contents would change too often.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Wot the others said re CPC...

Failing that, we have been very pleased with our Bosch. Does the job well and is exceptionally quiet.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks - is your Bosch the low end model. with the 1000 spin speed?WAA20160?

Reply to
john

speed?WAA20160?

Personally, I'd avoid a 1000 spin. We've got a 1600 spin machine and the clothes come out so dry that you could almost wear them on a hot sunny day. It must save us a fortune in tumble drying costs.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

That's what I replaced my 20 odd year old Indesit with. ;-)

The Indesit had done fairly well - two sets of brushes, pump blocked a few times, several door seals, one mains suppression filter which went bang in a big way, a couple of heater elements and a programmer fault I managed to fix.

The Miele is just sooo quiet. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, a mid range one with 1400 rpm spin, extra rinse options, and delayed start/rinse capabilities. It is the one with the LED readout that estimates the time to completion of the cycle on the front. I will tell you the model number next time I pass the kitchen ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Bosch, we have had a bosch washer for 8 years (Maxx for Kids) only thing done to it was I had to remove drawer water feed piping and clean out as it had bunged up with some weird mouldy "jelly". Used at least one a day. Best ever buy!

Reply to
Tim Morley