Bosch PSR 2.4V screwdriver cells?

Hi all,

I've just come across my old Bosch electric screwdriver and I remember it being pretty good and torquy. It also has a neat auto locking mechanism if you prefer to use it as an ordinary screwdriver.

Because the supplied charger didn't seem to do anything when (supposedly) left on charge for a while, I've stripped the screwdriver down and have the cells out and on my fancy new charger.

I believe they are Nicads but the (2) cells themselves are in an unmarked cardboard tube, I can't see any mention of the chemistry on the driver itself or anything on the net (the closest was a discussion here a while back ) so I wondered if anyone happened to know please?

I've got them on a gentle(500mA) x3 'cycle' as NiMh's so I'll see how they fare and I don't think the charge profile is that much different from NiMh's in any case ((Negative) Delta V full charge detection) but I understand it's safer to assume NiMh even if they are Nicads when charging.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

They're bound to be NiCd. By the time NiMH and lithium came along no-one was still buying 2.4v screwdrivers.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That was my thought as well.

Were NiMh and Lithium that closely spaced? I thought there was quite a gap where things were gradually going from Nicad to NiMh (with the cheaper tools still coming in NiCad) and then a slow appearance of Lithium with most the mainstream stuff still coming in NiMh (and still with low voltage screwdrivers (in particular))?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

If they are heavy they are nicads.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

That's a novel solution Bill. ;-)

When I get them off the cycle / charge I'll compare them with my other (known chemistry) cells.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Laptops were NiMH in the early 90s, power tools stayed NiCd only until more recently, even after most other things had gone NiMH.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Laptops and phones seemed to lead the way and it was possibly their use that brought the price down for other uses.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m