Bosch PSR 960 9.6v Drill Driver

I've been looking for a small lightweight drill driver for a while, for flat pack assembly, curtain pole fixing etc.

Saw the Bosch PSR 960 in Makro on Sunday for £20, so I broke open the handyman piggy bank.

Very impressive piece of kit, only 9.6v x 1.2 a/h but punches well above its weight.

Fitting some downlighters on Friday, Wickes 14.4v jobby ran out of charge & I'd left the spare battery at home. It was either get the mains SDS out of the van or use the Bosch.

It happily drilled 6 holes through plasterboard & skim with a 65mm holesaw and still had plenty of charge left.

Nice tool especially at that price.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sounds like a reasonable deal... what is the charge time like?

Reply to
John Rumm

3-5 hours apparently. I may buy an inverter to charge it in the van.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Medway Handyman wrote

=20 Yes, even my ancient 7.2v PSR Bosch was a capable enough tool for a=20 secondary drill/driver. Well, it *was*... until the battery gave out a=20 few days ago. A reverse blast with the car battery charger brought it=20 back to life for a couple of recharges, but it's fading rapidly again=20 now. :(

So... today, I bought a Bosch PSR 14.4 VE-2 with 2 batteries[1] from=20 Ridgeons in Cambridge for =A349. The cheapest price I've seen it anywhere= =20 else is =A375 for the 1 battery version.

But what I'm really looking forward to is seeing what Screwfix have as=20 special offers when they open their shop here later this month. I'm on=20 the lookout for a GBH 2-18 RE SDS+ :)

Footnote

--------

  1. And it's a 1 hour recharge time. ;)

--=20

-blj-

Reply to
Brian L Johnson

I bought a bosch PSR 1440 a couple of years ago - it had 2 batteries, but I lost the charger and 1 battery some time ago. I have just bought the PSB 14.4 V-i from B&Q - it was =A369, but it has a 20 min charger, has an impact setting, and it came with a titanium drillbit set.

What's the betting I find the lost charger and battey in the next week?

Philip

Reply to
Philipj.cosson

wrote

Oh, pretty high, I'd say.=20

That's the way it normally works round these heah parts.

--=20

-blj-

Reply to
Brian L Johnson

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Brian L Johnson saying something like:

The cheapest batteries I've found so far are here...

worth it to keep a good old tool going. I'm ordering some 3Ah ones for my old Bosch.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman" saying something like:

About 14 years ago I was given a Makita 7.2V drill/driver which I put aside and forgot about as it seemed a bit too small to do any serious stuff with. For the past several years I've been using a Bosch GBH 12V as a general purpose drill/screwdriver, but recently needed to find a lighter and smaller screw-driving appliance, so I dug out the old Makita which was still in almost new condition. Battery charged up fine and I must say I was impressed at its screwdriving ability, so much so I'm getting a couple of spare batts for it and intend to keep it as part of my general working kit. What fooled me into thinking it wasn't up to much was its low speed - but the torque it produces is well up to the demands of the job and with modern batteries in it it will do fine.

They're available for peanuts on ebay now, so I've just bought another one as a backup.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote

A couple of other sites that I checked showed that my 7.2V ones were=20 around =A345. Which, with the addition of P&P, was more expensive than=20 buying another (and better) drill driver and 2 batteries.

Hmmm...

That URL appears to 404. In fact, the whole site does. =20

And the Wayback Machine only has records of the site existing up until=20 May 2006. Nothing after that.

--=20

-blj-

Reply to
Brian L Johnson

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote

Yes, the thing about the lower voltage ones is that they're light and can get into smaller spaces. Plus, I can carry one around with me pretty much all the time. And if they save me getting to my feet, walking across the room, picking up a 'real' drill, walking back and sitting down again just to drill a few pilot holes, so much the better.

OTOH, it is possible to go *too* small. I have a Bosch 3.6v driver. It's absolute rubbish. :)

Reply to
Brian L Johnson

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Brian L Johnson saying something like:

It disappeared all day yesterday, back now though. It looks slightly different, so maybe a revamp was in progress.

I've ordered a couple of Makita batts from

I'll be ordering the Bosch batts from the German site, as they seem to be the only one that actually has them in stock.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote

Gosh! global-batteries has the 1.5Ahr one for =A313.42 and the 3Ahr one is= =20 only =A33 more! Plus =A34 for P&P, that's a bargain.

And they seem to have mine in stock so I think I'll order one to see=20 what they're like. =20 Good link -- thank you! :)

--=20

-blj-

Reply to
Brian L Johnson

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Brian L Johnson saying something like:

No probs.

I've just found an Austrian ebayer who sells re-celling kits for Bosch - perhaps he does other makes too.

've sent him a query about mine.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Grimly Curmudgeon saying something like:

Bad form, etc.

Bloody'ell, he most certainly does.

Grimly Curmudgeon

I needed to buy a drill and jigsaw recently. Went for Bosch. Can't fault them.

Reply to
Ed_Zep

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote

Gosh! At those prices, it's certainly worth getting a spare battery.

Or even a main, but uprated, version and keeping the /original/ battery as a spare.

Reply to
Brian L Johnson

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Keep in mind that the cells used in these packs are capable of such high short circuit currents that any error in re-celling (loose insulation) could result in the pack spontaneously bursting into flames when dropped or bumped.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Clive Mitchell saying something like:

Yaroo! Kamikaze Suicide Drillers.

Prace Bets Now!

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon