source battery for screwdriver

I have a Bosch rechargeable (old) battery gone dead. Bosch PSR 2.4 v Other nos on label

511 0 603 927 028

The battery looks similar to a D ?? battery but like 2 joined together in a cardboard sleeve inside the screwdriver.

Any ideas of an equiv or where they can be sourced.

Reply to
ss

Most power tools use what are called Sub-C cells. They can be bought individually with 'tags' which allow them to be soldered together. Expect to pay about 4-5 quid per cell for decent ones. Most electronics suppliers have them, even Maplin. Be wary of cheap ones from China on Ebay.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You'll need to know if they are NiCds or NiMH. I have an old 3 Sub-C cell one, and that uses NiCds, which I have replaced once or twice. They've got harder to find, but I really like that screwdriver - much nicer than anything newer that I've played with.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've a favourite 9v6 Bosch that needs re-celling, and having just had a look on Ebay I see that there is really little choice but Chinese ones. Has anyone found any of these usable or do I have to search more extensively at home for what might just be the same thing with a UK mark up on it.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

No but have a look at the Maplin battery boxes for a couple of ordinary AA NiMh with the PP9 type contacts on top. It makes a quick and cheap alternative to tagged C cells and might have the capacity that you

Ericp

I bought from somewhere like CPC, or Maplin, or Farnell (can't recall now), but whereever it was, was reducing their range of NiCds. I wanted reasonable quality ones.

I don't think I'd buy rechargables off ebay.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

worst time as I am laying ply for tiling a kitchen and over 1000 screws to fix! My wrists wont take trying to do manually.

Reply to
ss

Does the Bosch website not have recommendations? I got the contact for the B&D "repair people" and their website had lots of spare parts, including replacement batteries for my own screwdriver. possibly a little more pricey than sourcing yourself but "time is money".

Paul DS

Reply to
Paul D Smith

exactly the batteries it was designed for.

For this sort of thing, I put a screwdriver bit into my SDS drill, which has a good low gear and excellent low speed control. (Not in hammer mode though;-) It's much faster than a battery screwdriver.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , robgraham writes

I have a favourite 9.6V Bosch drill which needed re-celling a few years ago. Somebody in here recommended a re-cell company (possibly recellyourbattery.com). In the event, they were able to supply a complete replacement for little more than the re-celling charge plus postage.

With the move away from ni-cad, things may have changed.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It's probably cheaper to buy an whole new drill/driver.

Reply to
Mark

For general screwdriving a drill designed for it would be just fine. The pukka small power screwdrivers can be quite useful for smaller jobs where space is limited. The impact Makita TD020D does both jobs - but was yesterday's must have as I've not seen them on sale recently.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not really provided you take care over the charging.

Same here ancient B&D straight screwdriver, damn excellent bit of kit. Recelled twice now, last time with NiMH. It's the primative (even for NiCds) charger that lets it down and kills the cells. I must build a decent charger for it. Though just remembering to only charge for at most 24hrs at a time and not to leave it in the de-powered charger bracket works well enough.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

As I needed one urgently I went to screwfix for a £22 cheapo, out of stock so nipped in to B&Q and got one for £14, ideal for what I want and probably cheaper than batteries for the old one, I dont use them often so should last a few years.

thanks to all for the replies. Much appreciated.

Reply to
ss

I think we have exactly the same one! It's got a very clever automatic spindle lock built into the tail end of the gearbox (which I didn't actually appreciate until I had the gearbox in pieces one day). If the motor is driving the bit (in either direction), it rotates freely. If the bit it trying to drive the gearbox (as happens if you try using it as a manual screwdriver), it instantly locks the bit solid. It has a set of rollers in something which looks a bit like a minature wankel engine, relying on the rollers jamming or not, to engage or disengage the locking of the bit to the case. It was a bugger to reassemble. I initially gave up, being unable to see what that part did. Then I found I couldn't use it as a manual screwdriver as it tended to cause the motor to spin instead. Took it all apart again, and with much difficulty, managed to get all the rods back in place, and it was working again.

I'm sure that locking mechanism must have a name, and probably a patent too.

Charger is just an AC wall wart, with a half-wave rectifying diode in the holder which makes contact with the charging contacts. Amazingly, I have actually got long life and lots of use out of each set of batteries.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

B&D 9019

ISTR having a bit of fun getting it all back together as well.

That sums it up, the charge rate is almost but not quite "safe" but if you switch the power off the leakage is enough to drain things over a month. NiCds don't like that...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Sounds like a sprag clutch variant.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yep.

Reply to
grimly4

[googles] possibly, but most of the descriptions of sprag clutches definitely don't match. I found just one which does:

the mechanics of how it works are not the same.

So it's a bidirectional back-stopping clutch. You can drive power through it either clockwise or anti-clockwise from one side, but it instantly locks solid if you try to drive power (clockwise or anti-clockwise) through it in the other direction.

Most of the sprag clutch descriptions talk about freewheeling, and this one doesn't do that in any mode.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That's correct. I built a basic sprag clutch out of Meccano years ago..fascinating - and that was a free wheeler, but a double sprag clutch becomes a unidirectional torque transfer device.

(Its a sad day when my dictionary for the spill chucker doesn't feature either sprag, or Meccano..or indeed chucker :-))

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher