source battery for screwdriver

I have a Bosch rechargeable (old) battery gone dead. Bosch PSR 2.4 v Other nos on label 511 0 603 927 028
The battery looks similar to a D ?? battery but like 2 joined together in a cardboard sleeve inside the screwdriver.
Any ideas of an equiv or where they can be sourced.
Add pictures here
✖

Most power tools use what are called Sub-C cells. They can be bought individually with 'tags' which allow them to be soldered together. Expect to pay about 4-5 quid per cell for decent ones. Most electronics suppliers have them, even Maplin. Be wary of cheap ones from China on Ebay.
--
*If they arrest the Energizer Bunny, would they charge it with battery? *

✖

You'll need to know if they are NiCds or NiMH. I have an old 3 Sub-C cell one, and that uses NiCds, which I have replaced once or twice. They've got harder to find, but I really like that screwdriver - much nicer than anything newer that I've played with.
--
Andrew Gabriel
✖
On Dec 15, 12:26 am, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

I've a favourite 9v6 Bosch that needs re-celling, and having just had a look on Ebay I see that there is really little choice but Chinese ones. Has anyone found any of these usable or do I have to search more extensively at home for what might just be the same thing with a UK mark up on it.
Rob
Add pictures here
✖

I bought from somewhere like CPC, or Maplin, or Farnell (can't recall now), but whereever it was, was reducing their range of NiCds. I wanted reasonable quality ones.
I don't think I'd buy rechargables off ebay.
--
Andrew Gabriel
✖

I have a favourite 9.6V Bosch drill which needed re-celling a few years ago. Somebody in here recommended a re-cell company (possibly recellyourbattery.com). In the event, they were able to supply a complete replacement for little more than the re-celling charge plus postage.
With the move away from ni-cad, things may have changed.
regards
--
Tim Lamb

Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 00:26:24 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Not really provided you take care over the charging.

Same here ancient B&D straight screwdriver, damn excellent bit of kit. Recelled twice now, last time with NiMH. It's the primative (even for NiCds) charger that lets it down and kills the cells. I must build a decent charger for it. Though just remembering to only charge for at most 24hrs at a time and not to leave it in the de-powered charger bracket works well enough.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Add pictures here
✖

I think we have exactly the same one! It's got a very clever automatic spindle lock built into the tail end of the gearbox (which I didn't actually appreciate until I had the gearbox in pieces one day). If the motor is driving the bit (in either direction), it rotates freely. If the bit it trying to drive the gearbox (as happens if you try using it as a manual screwdriver), it instantly locks the bit solid. It has a set of rollers in something which looks a bit like a minature wankel engine, relying on the rollers jamming or not, to engage or disengage the locking of the bit to the case. It was a bugger to reassemble. I initially gave up, being unable to see what that part did. Then I found I couldn't use it as a manual screwdriver as it tended to cause the motor to spin instead. Took it all apart again, and with much difficulty, managed to get all the rods back in place, and it was working again.
I'm sure that locking mechanism must have a name, and probably a patent too.
Charger is just an AC wall wart, with a half-wave rectifying diode in the holder which makes contact with the charging contacts. Amazingly, I have actually got long life and lots of use out of each set of batteries.
--
Andrew Gabriel
✖
On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 01:44:11 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

B&D 9019

ISTR having a bit of fun getting it all back together as well.

That sums it up, the charge rate is almost but not quite "safe" but if you switch the power off the leakage is enough to drain things over a month. NiCds don't like that...
--
Cheers
Dave.

Add pictures here
✖

Sounds like a sprag clutch variant.

regards
--
Tim Lamb

Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 09:39:32 +0000, Tim Lamb

Yep.
Add pictures here
✖

[googles] possibly, but most of the descriptions of sprag clutches definitely don't match. I found just one which does:
http://www.industrialmagza.com/pdf/Formsprag/Backstopping%20Clutches/P-956-FC_pg054-057-MGZ.pdf
although the mechanics of how it works are not the same.
So it's a bidirectional back-stopping clutch. You can drive power through it either clockwise or anti-clockwise from one side, but it instantly locks solid if you try to drive power (clockwise or anti-clockwise) through it in the other direction.
Most of the sprag clutch descriptions talk about freewheeling, and this one doesn't do that in any mode.
--
Andrew Gabriel
✖
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

http://www.industrialmagza.com/pdf/Formsprag/Backstopping%20Clutches/P-956-FC_pg054-057-MGZ.pdf
That's correct. I built a basic sprag clutch out of Meccano years ago..fascinating - and that was a free wheeler, but a double sprag clutch becomes a unidirectional torque transfer device.
(Its a sad day when my dictionary for the spill chucker doesn't feature either sprag, or Meccano..or indeed chucker :-))
Add pictures here
✖

The checker on this RISC OS machine includes the first two. But then it is an English one. ;-)
--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

✖
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I guess this is Mozillas 'English English dictionary'
Or maybe it taps into some Linux one..
Hmm I don't actually KNOW.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 00:31:51 -0000, The Natural Philosopher

Guarantee it is better than IE's spelling checker. :-)
--
Rod

Add pictures here
✖

Could be the default US dictionary. Check tools:add-ons:languages for the en-GB language pack.
also <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/british-english-dictionary/
--
djc

Add pictures here
✖

No but have a look at the Maplin battery boxes for a couple of ordinary AA NiMh with the PP9 type contacts on top. It makes a quick and cheap alternative to tagged C cells and might have the capacity that you
http://www.maplin.co.uk/aa-size-battery-holders-31427
Add pictures here
✖
On 15/12/2011 00:50, Ericp wrote:

I`ll pop into maplin tomorrow and have a look, it couldnt have come at a worst time as I am laying ply for tiling a kitchen and over 1000 screws to fix! My wrists wont take trying to do manually.
Add pictures here
✖

IME, you won't fit anything into the compartment, except exactly the batteries it was designed for.

For this sort of thing, I put a screwdriver bit into my SDS drill, which has a good low gear and excellent low speed control. (Not in hammer mode though;-) It's much faster than a battery screwdriver.
--
Andrew Gabriel
✖