Bosch Router working intermittently

I have a Bosch Router which when I use it can work perfectly. However on occasions when I turn it on nothing happens. If I give it a shake or a bang it will then start.

Does this mean a dodgy switch? In which case are they easily acquired and replaced?

Could it be the brushes on the motor? Same question.

What would a tool hire shop charge for fixing?

Cheers

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Probably. If it also starts to run in bursts, and sopaks a lot, this is a sure sign.

Too much. Get your won brushes and fox yourself.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And fox you too!!!

Reply to
Simon

A tool hire shop wouldn't fix it, it would need to be the manufacturer.

If it's one of the cheap routers you'd probably be better off ditching it and buying a new one - I've seen them for £25 around and about.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Hi,

Could be a multitude of things. First thing to try is to check the cable by turning the router on then tugging and wiggling the cable as it goes into the machine then as it goes into the plug then along its whole length to eliminate the possibility of a cable break.

How old is the machine - if new then it is unlikely to be brushes as these take years to wear down. It could be sticky brushes - check they are clean (i.e. they slip in and out of the brush holders easily). What length are the brushes?. If they are badly worn, there will be no spring in them when you push them fully in.

Intermittent switch faults can usually be noticed when actuating the switch - trying it a few times will normally get it going again. I'm not convinced this is your problem.

Finally, it could be a loose wire inside - taking the covers off the machine and gently checking each wire where it connects to something would find this out. (just make sure you know how to put it back together again)

Bosch spares should be easy to find - there are thousands of power tool repair places around. These places will also probably be able to give you an estimate for free or for a small fee (refundable if you get them to do the repair)

Let us all know how you get on.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan Campbell

Once I get the router going it never stops unless I turn it off. Once off it sometimes comes back on next time no problem, sometimes I turn it on and off a few times and it eventually works, and sometimes I have to give it a good spanking to get it going.

I have had it apart, allbeit a few months ago. I checked all the connections I could were secure, the brushes appeared to be ok ie long enough and moving freely.

My gut feeling is the switch but the possibility of a cable break is a good idea I'll check that.

Cheers

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Hi,

Could be the switch then. Does it happen frequently enough that you could test it with a multimeter? (assuming you have such a thing). I'm not that familiar with Bosch routers but you may be able to open the switch and can often fix them - the contacts can become charred and burned which causes an intermittent poor connection - clean them and they work fine again. Just be careful though as there are lots of small bits not really designed for repair.

Another thought would be a 'dis segment' whereby one of the windings in the armature has a broken wire and there is no continuity between one segment in the commutator and the next one. If the motor stops with the brush over this then no current will flow through that winding therfore no magnetic field, therefore no movement, but if you bash it, it will often turn the armature off the bad segment allowing it to run. This can be tested with a meter - there should be continuity between each segment and the next one but you can usually spot it by a large burned/discoloured gap between 2 of the segments and also while running with sparks visible running right round the commutator.

I hope this makes sense to you and isn't too technical and once again, let us know how you get on.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan Campbell

Charlie, Is it a variable speed one? I had a GOF900ACE that did just that, and then ceased to work at all. It turned out to be the variable speed control unit, and it cost something unpleasant to replace (surpise, surprise). Certainly the symptoms sound very similar; I thought it was the switch too, but the local repair place worked out what it was.

Cheers, Alf

Reply to
Alf

Such things are good for the confidence. The CD on my daughter's stereo broke once. It is on the top of the mini unit, rather than a drawer and she had been pressing down too hard and knackered the springs. I took it apart identified the cause and, most importantly, put it back together again and it works. It has continued to work for more than six years too.

However not everything is sweetness and light, I dismantled the youngest's Furby and put it back together again, but it still didn't work. Fiendishly complicated little buggers they are too.

That reminds me, I still need to do that soldering and reassembly job on that zoom flash unit......

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby