Hitachi or Bosch router?

Due to a theft, I have to replace my Bosch 1617EVS router. In searching for a replacement, I ran across some excellent reviews of a kit from Hitachi (KM12VC) which is a good $50 cheaper than the Bosch and is developing quite a reputation for being quiet and smooth.

Between the Bosch 1617EVSPK 2.25 Horsepower Electronic Variable Speed Plunge and Fixed Base Router Kit and the Hitachi KM12VC 2-1/4 HP Variable Speed Router Kit with Fixed and Plunge Bases -- I can't decide. Is there enough extra value to pay more for the Bosch? The Hitachi's extra low noise level and the fact it can use the Porter Cable 690 family of accessories make a good impression. I had to search hard for accessories for the Bosch. I'm not familiar with Hitachi customer service. I know the Bosch people are pretty cold. Both routers have soft starts. I don't really care what the tools look like so color and design are equal between them.

What would you do? Is there a difference between the two which can make a critical difference? They both seem to be made well, have lots of happy users and I have not seen any reports of poor performance by either of them.

Reply to
handybrooks

handybrooks,

I don't know if you've checked out the reviews on the Bosch 1617 or 1618 EVS in FWW mag & online at many places but in the 2.25 HP category the Bosch wins every time against all major brands including PC, Dewalt, Makita, and Hitachi. It gets the readers choice top honors as well.

Accesssories?

Not sure what accesssories you had a hard time finding for the Bosch 1617 EVS, but........

You can get the:

RA1054 edge guide which is a very precise and well designed guide RA1125 7 piece template guide set RA1165 under table router base with through the top height adjustment ,

3 bench top routter tables: RA1180, RA1101, or RA1171 27" x 18" on the first two, 25 x 15 1/2" on the third, the first two have an optional floor stand RA1190, A portable router table RA1200 with floor stand, 44" x 24" RA1166 plunge handle, RA1162 D handle, RA1160 fixed base, 3/8" collets RA1150 centering cone, RA1127 router inlay kit, vacuum attachments, chip guards, dust collection ports,

Where are you looking for?

Try the search string "Bosch Router accessories" on Amazon:

get what you pay for, I don't think you are going to do any better than Bosch IMHO,

RangerPaul

Reply to
Ranger Paul

I've had a bosch plunge (1613EVS I think) and it's been fine. It has some drawbacks, but they fixed some on the 1617EVS. For example, the depth-stop on mine is fairly inadequate. It's fixed on the newer ones though. The other 2 problems I have are that mine does not plunge very smoothly. IT's very difficult to slowy and gently plunge a cut. The third problem is that the router bits are not quite square to the base. This causes lots of little problems, but nothing I can't overcome.

I've never owned a Hitachi router, but their reputation on all of their other tools (SCMS, CMS, compressor, nail guns) is excellent.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dembroge

Paul, I know it looks as if there are lots of accessories but on several occasions, I ordered some and found delay after delay, going into months in one case. Many places only sell the main tool and its most profitable or popular add-ons, not the whole catalog. Even the Bosch web site fends off real questions about where to buy certain things.

This isn't just a Bosch problem. Almost every time I've asked for anything that wasn't on the Top Three list of accessories, the manufacturer sends me on long hunting trips. They throw out a list of their so-called retailers, most of whom could care less about anything but the main tool and its most popular add-on. It's remarkable how much money these guys spend on ads to develop a demand for a product which they are not prepared to distribute anywhere.

Reply to
handybrooks

Thanks for the input, Mike.

Reply to
handybrooks

I have a Bosch 1617 that has both a regular base and a plunge router one. The workmanship and overall quality on the plunge base is so BAD I never got it to work right. The base was way out-of-round and had protrusions that continually hung the router motor. Also, the adjustment mechanism was of a pretty good design but of extremely poor quality. To make matters worse, the exterior of router motor was so rough and poorly finished that it, too, impeded movement in the plunge base. Overall, I was completely dissatisfied with the unit.

I finally gave up, and bought a PC plunge router. I now use the Bosch in my router table - works OK there, but a pretty expensive proposition for what it's doing. Anybody want a Bosch plunge base, with case, etc.?

That experience will probably lead me to make that my last Bosch power tool - scared of getting burned again.

Reply to
Tex

Why didn't you return it?

I have several of the identical tool, with none of the problems, and have been more than satisfied over several years of use. One of my

1617EVS motors did corrode inside a router table due to MDF outgassing, but a quick Scotchbrite waxing cured the problem.

My experience has shown that any of the major brands can produce a clunker here and there.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Circle Saw in Houston is pretty well stocked . . .

Reply to
Steve DeMars

I have one of these (actually the Crafstman version) that I got in December 2004. Excellent unit, works flawlessly.

You should have returned the bad one! Definitely not typical--the QC guys must have been asleep the day that one went thru!

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

I guess I could have/should have but I'd used it several times before installing and trying the plunge base (several weeks later). By then, I just figured I'd screwed up. From what you guys are saying, I guess I just got "lucky" in picking one that totally missed the last couple of machiningg steps and any and all QC checks.

Reply to
Tex

If every Bosch router was built perfectly, there would be no need for Delta, DeWalt, Triton, Makita, and all the other major brands to offer a router, except for those brand loyal customers. I have two Bosch routers, one is the 1617evs and both have had minor problems. The 1617evs had the most problems but once I got one that was made correctly it turned out to be a good unit. I bought my 1716evs in August of 1998 when they were first introduced for sale. That said, I have used 3 Bosch drills of various sizes and types. Every one had some type of gearing problem develop while I was using it. One that broke was handed to me to try out by a Bosch rep. Do I think Bosch drills are crap? No.

Reply to
Leon