2.4v lightbulb for 2 AA batteries?

I bought a flashlight that came with two spare bulbs, that say on them

2.4v. So does the one in the flashlight. The flashlight uses two batteries in series, and I thought that should be 3 volts. Is this "normal" or is the bulb going to burn out quickly? Or what? :)
Reply to
mm

That's the way they come. It works. If it doesn't work get a refund.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Flashlight bulbs are normally rated for about 1.2-1.25 volts per cell, so as to achieve full brightness when the batteries are in, in my words, "average condition". There is also some consideration for "average" internal resistance of the batteries.

Don Klipstein

Thanks to all of you. (I wonder why I never noticed this before.)

Reply to
mm

Agree: With ordinary/regular batteries by the time the electricity comes out it will have encountered some internal resistance within the battery itself. So over the life of the battery the voltage will be somewhere below the nominal 1.5 volts per cell, (3.0 volts for two). Very large batteries may have lower voltage dop, especially on small loads.

Reply to
terry

For two AA cells, use a PR-4. That will give you reasonable service.

For two C cells, PR-4.

For two D cells, most lights use PR-2, though the PR-4 will work fine and give longer battery life. But the PR-4 is not quite as bright.

Yep, the voltage ratings aren't perfect.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

re; the 2.4v bulb- meant for rechargeables? nicads/nimh Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

This flashlight is far too cheap for them to expect rechargeable batteries to be used. I haven't looked in any other flashlights, but come to think of it, I don't have any designed but cheap flashlights.

Reply to
mm