Cheap alternative to Duracell AA batteries

We've been using 7day shop rechargeable AA's in Braun Oral B toothbrushes. There are 2 probs with the 7Dayers :-

  1. They are slightly overlong (maybe half mm) and require a lot of force to close the snap-shut cap. Is this typical of rechargeables or is it a prob only with 7Day shop batteries? Have cracked cap one one Braun already.

  1. They don't last very long - maybe 2 weeks. They can last 12 months in a wall clock but struggle with high drain stuff. The perfect answer is Duracell but these are not cheap. I've tried Googling for an alternative but you get pages of Amazon spam.

Q. Can anyone suggest an alterative disposable brand please - of reasonably good quality. TIA.

Reply to
Bertie Doe

It's a problem of substandard batteries. None of mine have ever had this problem.

Eneloop Pro NiMH have pretty high energy densities. I've had some but not long enough to given an honest opinion.

Bulk packs of Energisers from CPC can be had at excellent/unit value.

Reply to
Tim Watts

"Phil L" wrote in news:QXOPx.34978$ snipped-for-privacy@fx02.am:

Poor quality batteries are a criminal waste of resources and transportation form China.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

2 weeks between charges is plenty.

With alkaline batteries, you pay for advertising. All brands except Evolta came out at 1.9-2.2Ah per AA cell in tests. Evolta yielded about 1.5Ah. This test series was at 200mA load. But I see no sense using alkaline if you can use NiMH.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I found this article helpful in making choices of use...

...Ray.

Reply to
RayL12

Try Duracell Industrial (re-branded Procell).

OR

Babz Media is an Ebay seller that I would recommend - I've used them for

4+ years for batteries and other items without problems

Babz does other quantities and battery sizes.

alan_m

poundland is cheaper for equivalent types

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Thanks Tim, have ordered 4 from ebay at £12.75p inc P+P as wife is very keen on environmental issues etc. These will be used on the high-drain toothbrushes which get quite a hammering.

Ok it's more than double the price of the 7Dayers I have but there are one or 2 quality issues with these :-

You gets what you pays fer etc.

Reply to
Bertie Doe

My experience with poundland batteries is not to use them in anything where the battery is in place for more than a couple of months.

Reply to
alan_m

The local 99p Store (now part of Poundland) sell a pack of 12 R6s badged 'Performance' and uses the AA Home Essentials motif. They lasted only 5 days in the Bruan. The same battery may happily power a wall clock for 6 months but is useless on the high drain stuff.

Reply to
Bertie Doe

The Philips ones have also been ok:

Not bad at under 32p/batt

Reply to
John Rumm

I have found GP Branded alkaline to be vastly inferior to others...

Reply to
John Rumm

Zinc carbons of all brands are similarly poor performers. I said equivalent.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

On Sunday, 4 October 2015 00:33:31 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote: nt:

lta came out at 1.9-2.2Ah per AA cell in tests. Evolta yielded about 1.5Ah. This test series was at 200mA load. But I see no sense using alkaline if y ou can use NiMH.

their coin cells didn't fare well in tests either. Tests show almost all br ands of any given chemistry to have very similar capacity. It seems there's the occasional shortcomer, but they seem to bear no connection with the so rt of brands people typically expect to perform less.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

As is IKEA, and I've found their AAs to be fine. Although I've got no wide frame of reference as I don't use disposables a great deal.

The best rechargeable I have are these:

(Contour AA). Can't remember where I got them, but they seem to outperform even Eneloops.

Reply to
RJH

"Golden Power" - always seem to be the ones packaged with a new item...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I've that Braun and the Eneloop 2.45Ah cells last about 5 weeks at 2.5 - 3 mins./clean. The Poundland Kodak Pro are quite good; possibly Ikea's AAs at (last time I bought some) £1.50/10 are about the best value - not quite up to the best performer but much cheaper.

Reply to
PeterC

Do you not use adblock plus on your browsers?

Not sure about over long batteries. Sounds a bit dodgy. The thing is that rechargeable of the cheap variety, are not much good. I find the Maplin ones, though not cheap, can be recharged many many times and have a high capacity, and do not self discharge either. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

I've never found energisers to be anywhere near as good as Duracell for the dry battery side of things. I do however, feel that Duracell are taking the piss on the current prices.

One make to avoid are the interestingly named Flying Bomb high power. They seem to be almost guaranteed to leak within a week or so. Often sold in those little Asian shops one finds open all hours. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Not sure how accurate is the (above) disposable batteryshowdown.com comparison. Did they get fresh ones from the manufacturer? If not, how long were they in the warehouse(s). As mentioned by others, there's def a case for changing to rechargeables.

Following Tim W's suggestion, I've ordered 4 of the Eneloops. We'll be delighted if the Braun's last a month between charging's. If their claim of

1000+ re-charging's per battery is true - that's 1000 months = 19 years. Hmm I'll be down to my gums before then :-)
Reply to
Bertie Doe