Cheap alternative to Duracell AA batteries

Yep, the 7Day rechargeables are def half mil longer than any of my other AA's. I'll compare them with the Eneloops when they arrive. Thanks, I'll bear the Maplin's in mind - for future reference.

Yes you are correct. I do use AdblockPlus in my browsers. Are you referring to my comment about the amount of Amazon spam? Yes I am aware that Amazon is on ABP's whitelist. Last month, I got some advice (elsewhere) and switch to Firefox, rather than my default I.E. This seems to have reduced some of the Amazon spam, when I use say, Google or Ebay.

Reply to
Bertie Doe

En el artículo , Bertie Doe escribió:

I think this is deliberate, it's to stop you using rechargeables in appliances designed for standard high-drain AAs. If you have to force anything, it's a hint that there's something not right.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Bertie Doe escribió:

You may be correct, I've got two disposable and two 7day rechargeables (now dead) that need to be re-cycled. I've also got two Energizers. The latter is fully discharged, so therefore safe to use with micrometer.

'Performance' disposable (99p Shop) = 50.00mm 'Energizer' re-chargeable = 50.10mm

7Day Shop re-chargeable = 50.30mm

As you say, the rechargeables do seem a touch longer. Let's hope the newly ordered 'Eneloop' are closer to 50.10 and won't strain cap on the Braun.

Reply to
Bertie Doe

Further Googling also suggests that it's also the thickness that presents a problem :-

A quick measure shows the following diameters :-

Performance disposables 13.45mm

7Day AND Energizer rechargeables = 14.25mm

There follows one glimmer of hope in bcCopenhagens quote, that Eneloops conform closer to disposable AAs. Lets hope they mean length and thickness :-)

Bertie Doe

Well, my pre-Panasonic Eneloops go in OK. I do have some Aldidl Tronics and they're OK also. The 7D AAAs are a tad longer than the Eneloops but are still OK in torches but a bit snug in push-on/off lights. I use clingfilm wrapped over both ends of a cell to measure it with vernier calipers. If necessary, the double thickness of plastic can be deducted.

Reply to
PeterC

Babz on eBay also have a good range of suppliers, pack sizes, and battery types. Quick and good prices. No connection, just my usual "first stop".

Reply to
newshound

More news on Babz, who have currently disappeared off eBay

newshound

I wasn't impressed with their prices

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Update: The Eneloop rechargeables arrived Wednesday and they do fit the Braun Oral B's ok.

It's a tight fit but they are shorter than the 7Dayers and are the same size as my old Energizer rechargeables i.e. 50.10 mm long by 14.25 mm dia.

Thanks again Tim W for recs' on the Eneloops. Early days but there seems to be plenty of 'oomph' for the hi-drain toothbrushes. If they last the advertised 2000 re-chargings (2000 months = 166 years) ... I'll have to Will them to my great grandchildren :-)

I still have no idea why re-chargeable batteries are wider and longer?

Reply to
Bertie Doe

The speed of the brush isn't quite as high as the rechargeable brush is when it's just recharged but is higher than the last 2 days or so of the recharge. The first clue to the cells getting low is that the brush labours a bit - or can be stalled easily - when overloaded. I recharge the replacements towards the end of the run so that they're fresh. They should do at least 4 - 5 weeks, perhaps more if you do the recommended 2 minutes (I do a bit longer as my teeth can't be covered in one pass - long in the tooth, I suppose).

Reply to
PeterC

Yep the old 7Day R/C began to labour within 3 days of death. I'd be very happy if the Eneloops last 5 weeks.

I have a sneaky feeling that the EU will kill off disposables, some day soon. At Aldi, they fill 2 drums of dead cells, twice a week.

Not sure what happens to 'em ...

Reply to
Bertie Doe