Why aren't AA batteries square?

Is it cheaper to make batteries cylindrical or something? If they were square in crosssection, they wouldn't roll off the desk.
--
A federal survey shows that one in twenty Americans lack basic English skills.
The good news is, even without those skills someone can still become President.

A quick question to Mr. Google yielded some good answers. It's easier to make round containers through extruders. Round withstands internal pressure better than square. There were a few more.

I see. I didn't think of asking Mr Google. There are some things that just aren't out there. I thought this was odd enough to not be in his memory banks.
On the subject of round, you know those 2 litre coke/lemonade bottles? Why do they have 5 "feet" instead of a continuous circle? Then they wouldn't fall over so easily.
--
Two cowboys are talking over a beer, discussing various sex positions.
The first cowboy says his favorite position is "the rodeo".

And tanker trucks and tanker railroad cars are round also. Propane tanks and similar tanks holding pressure are round with curved ends.

Yes I understand that, but I thought AA batteries were dry and not under pressure. If you dismantle one it doesn't explode.
--
A group of cowboys were branding some cattle.
While they were out the cook saw a sheep tied to a post. Thinking it was for that nights dinner he cooked it.

Even tanks that aren't under deliberately added pressure are mostly round. Liquid fertilizer storage tanks and fuel tanks for stationary engines are mostly round. Even grain storage is round for the most part.
On 22-Sep-17 8:40 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Circular area maximizes volume/unit length at minimum surface area.
So, you get the most capacity for the least actual material and the reduced stress concentration at corners is a bonus...

dpb wrote:

Sometimes it is for hygienic reasons. Circular tanks have fewer (no) places for bacteria to propagate easily.

there are two round corners :-)
--
Those who jump off a bridge in Paris are in Seine.

On 22/09/2017 15:20, dpb wrote:

and of course the sides are evenly loaded and will not bulge like a square tank will if not braced.
On 09/22/2017 08:40 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[snip]

A round container has the greatest volume to surface ratio. That is, less wall material for its capacity. A square container is subject to unequal pressure from its contents, and will become round it it can (for example bulging gasoline cans).
BTW, I first discovered that as a child, playing in the mud.
OT: a local bank is collecting donations through the 28th, to be sent to Houston.
--
94 days until the winter celebration (Monday December 25, 2017 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Which you could say is actually useful. Instead of bursting, it bulges. If it's already round, it can't do so and explodes.

How did mud explain this concept?

?
--
"I'm prescribing these pills for you," said the doctor to the overweight patient, who tipped the scales at about three hundred pounds.
"I don't want you to swallow them. Just spill them on the floor twice a day and pick them up, one at a time."
[snip]

The greatest amount of water contained by the least amount of mud, makes the "lake" round.

I guess you haven't heard about what happened in Houston TX last month.
--
92 days until the winter celebration (Monday December 25, 2017 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Something blew over somewhere, I thought that was some islands? Weather in another country doesn't really interest me.
--
Next time you wave at me, use more than one finger please.

On 24/09/2017 21:37, Mark Lloyd wrote:

If collecting for hurricane victims would not it be better targeting the donations towards the poor countries rather than to one of the richest countries in the world?
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

Reminds me of the cowboy on his wedding night, who takes all his clothes off and stows them on a high shelf. On being asked by his bride why, he replies, "Well I ain't never done it with a woman before, but if it's anything like with a cow this place is going to be ass-high in shit."
--
Max Demian

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 03:46:03 +0100, bm wrote:

Indeed!
On 09/22/2017 07:09 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[snip]

I used to live on a farm, and remember the propane tank (horizontal with rounded ends). We also had a gasoline tank about the same size. The most obvious difference was that the gasoline tank had flat ends rather than rounded ones.
--
94 days until the winter celebration (Monday December 25, 2017 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Less pressure.
--
On going to war over religion:
You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend. -- Richard Jeni
On Friday, 22 September 2017 12:50:36 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
gmail.com> wrote:

sure

ust aren't out there. I thought this was odd enough to not be in his memor y banks.

hy do they have 5 "feet" instead of a continuous circle? Then they wouldn 't fall over so easily.
Probbaly something to do with the way they go along the belts in the factor ies. You seem to have problems with things falling over.... Anyway they have been and still are square batteries PP3s and most rechargb le camera batteries are squareish. Car batterise are squarish too.

cowboy says, "You tell your wife to get on the bed on all fours and then do it doggy style. Once things start to get under way and she's really enjoy ing it, lean forward, grab her by her hair and whisper in her ear, 'Your si ster likes this position too.' Then try to hang on for 8 seconds".