Radial earth return in FAQ diagram

Shouldnt there be an additional earth return to consumer unit from the end of the radial circuits in the FAQ diagram at

?

Reply to
DICEGEORGE

Why? A radial circuit is just that.

A ring would require all the wires to be returned and tested for continuity.

Can you provide any rule that says you must?

Reply to
Fredxxx

No.

Reply to
ARW

No.

There is no such requirement and it's never been standard practise that I know of :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

In general there is no requirement for a return earth connection.

The exception to this is when implementing high integrity protective earthing on circuits that you expect to have a high earth leakage current (i.e. >= 10mA) in normal use.

Reply to
John Rumm

Those appliances that need a protective earth connection get it from the three core (twin and earth) cable all the cirtcuits are wired with. What would be the purpose of an exttra earth connection?

Equipotential bonding is a whole other issus, that may not involve any part of the radial circuits, let alone the end of them.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Unless a "high integrity earthing" circuit is required.

Reply to
Andy Burns

YELLOW ONSITE GUIDE PAGE 82 FIG7.5.II shows a green/yellow return earth wire from the end of the radial circuit supplying socket outlets and is labelled "Duplicate protective conductor. Keep close to circuit conductors to reduce EMC effects.

Reply to
DICEGEORGE

That sounds like one of the illustrations in section 7.6 which is specifically about circuits with high protective conductor currents, that require high integrity earthing.

i.e. its a special case and not a general requirement.

Reply to
John Rumm

aha looking again on Yellow OnSiteGuide A3:2015 page 81 7.5.2 Circuits "The wiring of every final circuit and distribution circuit having a protective conductor current likely to exceed 10mA must have high integrity protective conductor connections complying with one or more of the following: (a)*** (b)*** (c) two individual protective conductors *** the ends being terminated independently (d)***

aha - most radials wont have leakage of more than 10mA, " i.e. its a special case and not a general requirement."

thanks - that diagram of the extra earth wire had been niggling at the back of my mind as I think about improving the wiring of my house ...

[george]

Reply to
DICEGEORGE