cutting wires

how come when I cut through my wiring going to my 13a sockets all the sockets are still live?
how come when I cut through my wiring going to my 13a sockets all the

Because they are on a ring main. Should you be messing with mains if you lack this basic knowledge?
MIke
On 26/05/2015 10:43, Des wrote:

Are you serious, or this a wind-up? What did you expect?
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 26/05/15 10:59, Roger Mills wrote:

Fiver says it's Wodney...

You've just lost that fiver, again.

You should be worried that every stupid/ignorant comment gets blamed on you.
--
*My wife and I had words. But I didn't get to use mine.

Don't forget his many sockpuppets.

I couldn’t care less what terminal fuckwits like you and him do.

Oh, but you do. Plenty of your posts prove just that.
--
*How does Moses make his tea? Hebrews it.*

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed pig ignorant fantasys.
He's a bot. Posts the same unimaginative old shite every time.
RodBot: http://tinyurl.com/RodSpeedBot

http://tinyurl.com/RodSpeedFAQ

I expected the ones furthest away from where the lecy comes in to the house to go off.

As someone else said, in the UK, sockets are generally wired in a ring - and have a pair of cables supplying them so to isolate the socket you need to disconnect both cables.
Have a look at the wiki for starters : http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Ring_circuit .
It's important as was suggested, that you understand the basics of this before working on the system. and understand other arrangements of socket wiring you might come across.
Why were you cutting the cable? What are you wanting to achieve? If you are cutting the cable to remove a socket you need to remake the ring.
--
Chris French

On 26/05/2015 10:43, Des wrote:

Sockets are usually wired on a ring circuit. See the illustration here:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=House_Wiring_for_Beginners#Overview
Cut one side of the ring, and there is still an alternative path via the other.
--
Cheers,

John.

But why do they do that?

See the other wiki link I just posted.
--
Chris French

On Tuesday, 26 May 2015 11:27:21 UTC+1, Des wrote:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Ring_circuit
NT

Go check out ring mains on the internet, basically two feed are better than one.
I was tempted to use a few of Adams favourite words here but then thought, no lets give Des the benefit of doubt.
Mike