cutting wires

how come when I cut through my wiring going to my 13a sockets all the sockets are still live?

Reply to
Des

how come when I cut through my wiring going to my 13a sockets all the

Because they are on a ring main. Should you be messing with mains if you lack this basic knowledge?

MIke

Reply to
Muddymike

Are you serious, or this a wind-up? What did you expect?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Fiver says it's Wodney...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I expected the ones furthest away from where the lecy comes in to the house to go off.

Reply to
Des

Sockets are usually wired on a ring circuit. See the illustration here:

Cut one side of the ring, and there is still an alternative path via the other.

Reply to
John Rumm

But why do they do that?

Reply to
Des

In message , Des writes

As someone else said, in the UK, sockets are generally wired in a ring - and have a pair of cables supplying them so to isolate the socket you need to disconnect both cables.

Have a look at the wiki for starters :

It's important as was suggested, that you understand the basics of this before working on the system. and understand other arrangements of socket wiring you might come across.

Why were you cutting the cable? What are you wanting to achieve? If you are cutting the cable to remove a socket you need to remake the ring.

Reply to
Chris French

In message , Des writes

See the other wiki link I just posted.

Reply to
Chris French

Jim, For heaven's sake! And you a building surveyor! (But how many will take the bait?) Gareth

Reply to
gareth

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Go check out ring mains on the internet, basically two feed are better than one.

I was tempted to use a few of Adams favourite words here but then thought, no lets give Des the benefit of doubt.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

ring, not spur ??

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , Tim Watts escribió:

Mike Tomlinson

It allows you to create a 7.2kW circuit using smaller an lighter cable than would otherwise be required. Makes it cheaper and easier to wire. It also performs better under a number of fault conditions, and gives less voltage drop effects from high loads.

Reply to
John Rumm