Why aren't AA batteries square?

In the days when batteries had names there was only one kind: zinc/carbon with ammonium chloride electrolyte.

Reply to
Max Demian

When I were a lad, there was Zinc Carbon (the ones that leaked in your radio and made you have to clean the connections), Zinc Chloride (better), and Alkaline (the ones that actually lasted more than 1 day. I never saw the point in anything but Alkaline, it superseded the two Zinc ones.

Nowadays I buy Alkaline for things that last for ages, like a clock or a thermostat, and NiMH or LiIon rechargeables (whichever the device prefers) for stuff that uses a fair amount of power.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

They had labels not names I didn't name any of my batteries. And I'm pretty sure in them days they had IDs otherwise you wouldn't know what battery to fit in which device.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Didn't those also have cardboard as their case, and the leak was a lovely brown colour.

I saw the point of NiCds, and of lead acid.

yes that's true but you also have to take into acount the physical dimentions of the battery to ensure it'll fit in your device. LiPo batteriues seem popular for drones and they seem to be used a lot for medical applications and remote body sensing.

Reply to
whisky-dave

The cases of zinc carbon (or zinc chloride) cells (apart from the layer type such as PP3) was always zinc (which was the negative electrode and dissolved away in normal use). There was a paper layer around the outside (or sometimes cardboard if there were two cells together), that bore the maker's name. "Leakproof" batteries had an extra layer of thin steel on the outside and the bottom, and plastic at the top. Non-leakproof batteries were sealed with pitch at the top.

Reply to
Max Demian

So what's the difference between a name and an ID? (Terms like U2 and U11 didn't exist until the mid 60s.)

Reply to
Max Demian

Yes, and you speak of them as though they don't still make them. They are still sold (as "ultra high power").

I was talking about single use batteries.

There's AA size of alkaline, NiMH and LiIon.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Only genuine layer batteries deserve the term battery. You can't have a battery of one gun. Nor one of one cell.

And yes, I too call AAs "batteries".

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

So it doesn't deserve it but you do it anyway? Make up your mind.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Guns in batteries are side by side. Maybe electrical batteries should have cells side by side. And facing the same direction.

Reply to
Max Demian

If gun batteries were in series you'd kill your colleague.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

So what;s the differnce between a term and ID a name and a label. So was it your parents that labeled you Max or was it a form of ID?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Still encased in paper or cardboard as their main form of protection.?

Theere were others silver oxide and zinc air have high capacities and still used.

Yes as I said AA is a size which is why they didn't make them square because AA were the same size as HP7s and they like/

Reply to
whisky-dave

When the cops ask you for your ID they want more than your name (in US cop shows). (British cops just ask you for your name and address supposedly.)

Reply to
Max Demian

And if you didn't give it, they could charge you, you could be accused of assualt and battery is that it ;-)

When a studnet asks me for a barrery I asked them what type. When they say 1.5V then I asked them what size. AA or AAA are those we use. If they ask for a 9V they'll get a PP3. I often get asked for 5V battereis and I say we havent; got any. If they ask for a battery called Tom, Dick or Harry I'd asked them for the order code and supplier.

sometimes they ask DOB too. At my college there's another with the same name as me, so just a name wouldn't be much to truely ID a person.

Same with batteries really.

Reply to
whisky-dave

In the USA that wouldn't surprise me. FFS they have a law against crossing the road without waiting for the green man (or walk signal in their case).

To that question I then usually get "er.... the really thin one".

I'd ask them if they'd forgotten their medication.

Does he live at your address?

Not if you also gave their address, which I guess would be "kitchen clock".

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I think it's called j-walking.

I'd say, what for a realyl thick student, I do try to educate my students, I;d like to think that when a studetn leaves with a degree they can atv least telll batteries apart. Our thin batteries are mostly LiPos.

yes that would be a good reply.

No but sometimes we get each others emails. (email addresses)

wouldnl't tell me which type of battery they took would it.

I just installed a remote (wirless) battery bell push unit. The battery is the bell push is apparently a 12V 23A alkaline battery according to the instruction manual. See how much confusion can arrise that;s why I try to be clear to all my students, a student asked me for our box cutters she meant end cutters so I showed her the differnce between our end cutters and our side cutters.

Its why I like to find the proper name for things even if I then prefer not to use it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

They might want a PP9 for a portable radio. That's what British made large portables used (though I bought a Roberts in 1977 or so that took either C or D size, depending on whether you installed the mains adapter). A few years ago "retro" radios were popular and some of those took PP9s - I've no idea why as the electronics was all new.

What if they ask for a Baby or a Bijou?

Reply to
Max Demian

Never heard of a PP9 being used anywhere in my 42 years.

I remember something being called a baby - C cell?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I had one that took *two* PP9s! Decca TP85.

Bob Eager