1.5V AA batteries - real voltage? Wireless thermostat.

Just checking, as the wireless thermostat has stopped talking to the control unit by the boiler.

The two AA batteries test at 1.5V. The batteries are labelled as 1.5V However new batteries test at 1.61V

Is the true voltage of AA batteries around 5.9V to 6.1V?

Waiting 10 minutes at the moment to see if this will reset the thermostat and then pair up with the controller.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Noting that it is now working with new batteries. However I am not convinced that the batteries were the issue as the display still showed plenty of battery life.

Can't be bothered to change back and do further tests.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

In or out of the unit? What is the voltage with the batteries under load in the thermostat?

1.5V is the nominal voltage and will be around 1.6V when fresh and with no load. In the thermostat the voltage will probably quickly fall to 1.5V or much lower.

It depends on the temperature, the load (amount of current drawn by the load) and the age of the battery within the equipment.

See a typical data sheet for a alkaline AA battery (the graphs at the end of the document)

A 1.5V lithium AA battery will be closer to 1.4V to 1.5V during its whole operational life

Often there a pairing process you have to perform - consult the instructions.

Reply to
alan_m

A new Alkaline cell can have an open circuit Voltage ( strictly EMF) of up about 1.6 V if it is of better quality - purer chemicals, especially manganese. Allow for you meter accuracy and ….

Once in circuit and under load, the current through the cell internal resistance will cause a drop in the reading - depending on the load, condition of the cell etc.

Reply to
Brian

"The nominal voltage of a fresh alkaline cell ... 1.5 V.

The actual zero-load voltage of a new alkaline battery ranges from 1.50 to 1.65 V, depending on the purity of the manganese dioxide used and the contents of zinc oxide in the electrolyte."

"A cell is considered fully discharged when the voltage drops to about 1.0 V"

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Almost no appliances can run on cells of 1.1v. Most die around 1.3 - 1.2v. Some clocks go lower.

Reply to
Animal

I'd have thought modern devices should be able to cope with Rechargeable at around 1.2v per cell. In your case the real test is what the batteries measure on load. Most partly used dry cells go back to full volts off load as the issue on load is less electrode in contact with the electrolyte, or internal resistance. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Maybe its the battery connectors then, getting tarnished. This happens even when the current is minimal, either due to dissimilar metals or oxidisation. How many old torches did you have to bang to get the bright light back, after all, a lot. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff
<snip>

Although my wireless mouse surprises me every time I change the 2 AAA batteries - they each measure about 850mV no load.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

I once saw a 'battery saver' circuit, for extra low consumption items, where a sort of charge pump circuit boosted the input to output voltage. It would squeeze the last bits of charge out of a battery.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Joule Thief

alan_m

Very few old style zinc carbon or even managenese dry cells ever exceeded 1.5v. Their nominal 'flat' point is around 1v.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Wot de man is saying is that 2 x 850mV = 1.7v which is well within range. Silicon transistors give up at about a volt, really.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its hard to design any electronics that will work below 1V. Above that you can pump to kilovolts if you want..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What type of transistors do you have in mind?

Bipolar silicon transistors had a base threshold of 0.7V Germanium transistors are still available but I suspect at a cost.

MOSFETs can have a tailored threshold, even negative (depletion type) thresholds so there is really no ultimate limit.

Reply to
Fredxx

Yes, hence Electronic design engineers do still command a modest remuneration despite a diminishing demand.

It depends on your speciality. Someone versed in low voltages might struggle to design a HV transmission system.

There is quite a jump, from a volt of so to kilovolts, so not very comparable.

Reply to
Fredxx

Electronic flash units manage it. 6V (typically four AAs) to many kV.

Reply to
NY

Quite, and how would you start to design a source of "many kV" to drive a few LEDs?

My assertion/question was more about comparing the designing of a power supply with say a 1V source and one of a few kV as per TNP claims.

Reply to
Fredxx

That's it, thanks..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

I used to design large FPGAs where the core supply voltage was 0.7V. Only the interfaces to the outside world ran at higher voltages.

Reply to
alan_m