Fence spraying

I have 70m of fencing (staggered 4x1 boards) that needs a repaint. i last painted it with Wickes Fence & Shed paint …. Quite thixotropic, and strangely paint on purple, but dries dark brown. To be fair it lasts pretty well. It takes a long time to hand paint, … and then repeat for other side of fence.

Are the airless paint sprayers for Fences any good ? I don’t mean the hand pump Cuprinol things …. Tried one and useless.

Presume it would mean thinning paint to a particular viscosity. Thinking of the most ‘professional’ airless machines, like this type:

Sargan

Or for circa £200

View the whole video to see why he made the selection and the alternative bits that came in the package

alan_m

or quicker

alan_m

Paint spraying out doors can be very fraught. The slightest wind or damp can affect the outcome. I have to say that the good old brush was always my default method, even if I did pong for a couple off days!. You can work the stuff in to the nooks and crannies and make sure its absorbed. I've noticed some ready made panels seem to be either dipped or sprayed, as you can feel the difference in the wood where sometimes its not penetrated so well. Which brings me to a question, why do they not paint each bit before assembly? Then all that would be needed is the edges treating where its been finished off. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The hand pump fence sprayers are ok if you can source sprayable fence paint. Haven't seen any for a long time but I haven't been looking. Even my 4 fence panels take over half a day to paint both sides by hand, so I bought a 2nd hand Wagner Fence & Deck Sprayer. It took less than an hour to paint both sides which included top sections of trellis for which I hooked on a length of hardboard backer to contain the overspray.

Reply to
wasbit

We used an Earlex HLVP sprayer and found it excellent. Being HVLP over spray is reduced. Being a spray it cuts in the edges of the fence boards easily

Reply to
fred

Did watch and useful link - thank you. Before I jump in and buy want to see if there is a way to use my existing compressor... but HVLP seems better solution.

Reply to
Sargan

In may case I bought pressure treated wood, also gave additional dip for

40 mins per piece of wood ... and 2 coats of treatment before fitting ..... but it needs re-doing
Reply to
Sargan

On 22/05/2023 10:11, wasbit wrote: Even my 4 fence panels take over half a day to paint both sides by hand,

Another vote for Wagner ....gives me confidence

Reply to
Sargan

only £160 on Amazon now ... seems good value

Reply to
Sargan

I wouldnt say that in Ukraine

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Wagner here too. Needs the nozzle unblocking fairly regularly with "sprayable" water based paints but Waaaaayyyyyyy quicker than brush/roller.

Just dug it out of the garden now looking for some "black" fence paint in the usual outlets.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

OK advice here followed ... I have bought a Wagner Flexio 96, had it on a deal for £120

Reply to
Sargan

Earlex is defunct.

An ?Austrian company bought them out. Their Guildford factory is no more.

Reply to
Andrew