Spraying Fence Panels

Hi Is it possible to thin regular fence paint to enable it to be sprayed. If so what with? Normal fence paint is around 50% cheaper than the spayable type!

cheers

Reply to
KinRsole

If by normal fence paint you mean creosote substitute that should spray OK as it is. It might be worth filtering it in case there is any debris that could block the hole in the sprayer's jet. Surely if you dilute it with anything other than a preservative then its effectiveness as a wood preservative will be reduced. And if you dilute it with a preservative then it will cost as much as the undiluted paint in the end.

Reply to
DIY

Reply to
KinRsole

I have used neat Creocoat, ( Creasote substitute) with my compressor, initialy I used the spraygun, however this was so fine & slow, I tried the degreaser gun & found it ideal for doing fence panels faster than that bloke on the telly advert. Chris

Reply to
Merlin©

Why not use Thompsons water seal, It sprays easily from a garden spray and is only 8.99 a gallon from B & Q. It's made for wood, brick, fabric. I used some last week on an outbuilding made from breeze block. Try it you won't be dissapointed. It's clear stuff though so if you want your fence a particular colour paint it first with whatever and then spray it with Thompsons water seal.

Reply to
Simon

I have only used B & Qs own brand fence preservative as is in my sprayer, I haven't tried to dilute it. You could try diluting a small quantity with water and see what a small test area of fence looks like after it has dried. Obviously the final colour and preservative ability will not be the same as using it neat. If you are planning to stay at this property then diluting fence preservative sounds like false economy to me if it results in the fence needing painting more often or the wood rotting sooner.

Reply to
DIY