"Antique" fence boards

Waney edge ?

Reply to
Jimk

The (diminishing) joys of listed buildings ...

Reply to
Jimk

We have a fence in the garden of our listed building home, with standard posts, but boards like I've never seen before. They are 6 feet wide, with straight vertical edges, but variable in height from perhaps 6" to 9". Neither horizontal edge is straight, so they have a very rustic appearance, and they are also tapered like featheredge boarding. They are clearly very old.

Does that make sense to anyone? What are they called? Where could I get them? They are all pretty much past their sell-by date!

Reply to
Keefiedee

I suspect a photo would help ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Right. That sounds/looks right. Presumably the bark falls off with the passage of time. Rather pricey! But many thanks.

Reply to
Keefiedee

larchlap??

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Are you in conservation area ?. Are these in front of the property ?

If YES to both, tread carefully.

Reply to
Andrew

it's listed, OP has to tread carefully anyway. Listing includes things in the curtilage.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Nah, kids pick it off ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm not sure why it's pricey - it's cheap for the sawmill to make because it includes the edge of the trunk, they don't have to trim and discard that piece. Unless you're looking at say oak (when it'll be expensive anyway)?

Find a local sawmill who should be able to help. For a randomly selected vendor, this is about 3 quid a meter for example:

Theo

Reply to
Theo