Bit OT broadband switch

Agreed.

I have been with Plusnet for my broadband for quite a few years now, and have always had very good service, including a good and informative response when there have been issues.

I recently also switched my phone service to them, after having seriously crap service from talktalk.

Reply to
Alex Heney

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll make enquiries from Zen when I am next in the UK because it will save me a bit of money if they'll do it.

Reply to
David D S

I'm not sure pole-dancing or other entertainments would ever be offered for 60quid a month...

Reply to
David D S

£60 a month for:

(a) line rental

(b) all landline calls to geographical numbers in the UK and just about any other country a person might want to ring

(c) Sky broadband, and

(d) 300+ channels of television (yes, I know that some of them would be free anyway).

That is pretty good. Our BT phone bill on its own used to be the equivalent of about £33 a month (paid quarterly). And you could add £60 a month onto that when we were on dial-up internet.

Reply to
JNugent

I have been seriously doing so. The problem I ran into is this in order to get their broadband service, you need to go to paperless billing. However I have never been able to make BTs e-billing system work on my computer. If I log onto it with Firefox, it hangs and never delivers the logon page. If I use IE, I can log on but then instead of a bill I get a completely blank page.

I spent an hour on the phone yesterday discussing this a lady at BT customer support. She was very nice but she couldnt help me solve the problem.

Don't want it.

Yes. I have in the past needed to use it on a different account, and it was hopeless.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

On 19/03/2014 08:38, Big Les Wade wrote: I have been seriously doing so. The problem I ran into is this in order

Try booting from a linux live CD and use that to access your online account.

Reply to
Adrian C

Strange. Works here with Firefox.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" posted

It is quite likely to be something to do with my version or configuration of Firefox, but I have no way of knowing what, and the BT person couldn't help me.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

try firefox in safe mode or whatever its called without ant plugins and see what happens.

Ive had a lot of this when I tried to tune cookies: sites now make it impossible to use them UNLESS you allow yourself to be tracked.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sky emailed us and said we'd be paying less when we transfer over to them than we were on Be.

Think the service has gone downhill in the last 6 months though so am toying with the idea of switching.

Reply to
mogga

I appreciate the suggestion, but I have learned from bitter experience that trying to solve a problem by trying out various suggestions (like this one) one by one can take your entire day, and still not solve it. I don't even know how to start Firefox in safe mode.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

mogga posted

And did that actually happen?

Reply to
Big Les Wade

Under 'help' is 'restart with plugins disabled'.

Try that - it takes but 5 minutes and eliminates at least half the problem areas you may have active.

Then re-enable plugins and try each one in turn - they are all disable-able.

This IS Uk.d-i-y not UK.moan-at-someone-till-they-fix-the-problem-for-me.

Not yet alt.get-a-man-in...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's not your fault - Most Home PCs in the country are the same, and somehow the goverment and the PC industry thinks everyone can all be system admins.

Suggest checking out Chromebooks and that basic cheap ISP - Plusnet!!

Reply to
Adrian C

No it isn't. Going to the 'help' menu item opens a Mozilla Support web page entitled "Firefox Help Topics"

There are six choices below that none of which is 'restart with plugins disabled' or 'safe mode'. So I have to go down to yet another level. It could take ages.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

Oh yes it is... try hovering on 'Help' or sliding off it to the left rather than clicking on it. You'll get the restart without plugins option there.

Nope. I suspect you've got a different, probably later, version than mine.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

Given that Firefox has auto-updated itself for the last two years...

You might also like to have a look at ninite.com

Reply to
Adrian

Hold shift while double clicking its icon...

Reply to
John Rumm

v28.0, but what I described has been 'current' for a long time now.

Firefox has announced updates for the past many versions. If you're not on the latest version then you really should be.