OT..best broadband provider?

I need broadband to my new home based office and am in a non cabled area. I see bt does it but some binary newsgroups are not provided, so I need to find one that does binaries and has decent performance.

any recommendations?

ta

Steve

Reply to
R P McMurphey

Don't touch BT with a barge pole they have a terrible reputation. You don't need a provider that does binary newsgroups as there are plenty of free ones out there including individual.net.

I am with freedom2surf and am very happy with there service. They cost £22 per month with no minimum contract and free connection

Reply to
AK

Plusnet are at the moment in beta trials of their new news-server.

If this comes through as expected, they are likely to be the only UK ISP with their own decent news-server, that does binaries reasonably.

also have lots of free extras, which might be of use to a home-office, from fax-email gateways to as many email addresses as you want, as well as being very competitive on price.

for some comparisons.

I'd of course appreciate it if you'd enter my ID (mauve) in the referrals box, as they give you a free elephant for every customer you recommend.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Individual.net are great but they DON'T do binaries

Nick Brooks

Reply to
Nick Brooks

As Ian is hoping to get a little bonus (not a big hefalump) you may be cagey going on his recommendation, however I am with PlusNet and they are good, I highly recommend them also. They had quite a bit of trouble recently, but they owned up to it and kept us well informed. During their problems there were no problems connecting.

What I would caution is carefully check the prices for the "hardware inclusive" deals, I found it better to get my own router and filter (BT master socket type) from Solwise, who I find give rapid and helpfully service.

Reply to
Broadback

Not BT (any flavour), AOL or Tiscali.

Other than that, it depends what you want.

the best place to start. I love my ISP (AAISP), but it's really for 'techy' users and anyway they don't have a kickback scheme!

Reply to
Bob Eager

They promised me elephants!

I clearly remember it, the director of plusnet came to me in his ceremonial robe of many colours, proclaimed by his herald angels, and stated that I get one elephant for every customer I help to sign up, before he handed me the contract written on a deep-pan anchovy pizza, and left on his winged steed. (a Mini-Cooper with the pegasus option.)

IMO, this is a binding legal document, though strangely I seem to have misplaced it at the moment.

AFAIK, they are the only UK ISP to have upgraded their news-server with the stated aim of making it work for binaries, in around a year.

If this comes through, this would be a handy included service, as though you can pay a few quid a month for this service from elsewhere, getting a usable binary newsfeed free would be nice.

You can also buy filters that don't stick out of the wall, but go into the BT master socket, and a lead comes off to go to your ADSL modem, with no extra sticky-out things. With any hardware, or stuff offered "free", it's always a good idea to check the prices. Very rarely does the company simply write-off the cost as 'advertising', but locks you into a more expensive contract for some months, with a hefty cancellation fee. Even if it's good value now, if other services come along substantially cheaper later, it can be annoying.

I would recommend a firewall/router, over a modem, for a number of reasons. It's handy if you ever want to upgrade beyond one computer, and means that there is no delay after you boot up the computer, waiting for the ADSL modem to login.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I've had AOL/BT broadband for 2 years now (with AOL for 6 years in total) and it's been totally trouble free. Always get the full bandwidth on up and downloads, never had any losses of service and it isn't expensive. Also if you do ever need them, AOL has the best customer support dept I've come across. Free 0800 calls, hundreds of support staff on duty so you get through immediately or you can get help online or by email.

Newsgroups, web browser, zipping and unzipping of email attachments and a media player is all built in so it's a doddle for newbies. It appears to be de rigeur to slag AOL off but I've never understood why.

I agree that you don't get all newsgroups or binaries handled in any sensible way but you can access those through external services if you want via the AOL backbone. Personally I don't use them as Emule has everything I ever want to download.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

I understand that the AOL T&C don't permit multiple machines to be connected? And that they use a VPN, rather non-standard. And there are many horror stories about AOL customer service!

Look at uk.telecom.broadband. The people slagging it off are those who've been customers. You are of course welcome to disagree if your experience has been good.

Reply to
Bob Eager

What's wrong with Clara? Seems to work ok when I've used it for binaries, although they don't carry everything... ;)

I just know I'm going to regret saying this, but the binaries on NTL are working at the moment(!) - well they are here, on a "perm any 6 from 12 server addresses", basis - but Newsbin is good at that anyway ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

I've just signed up with Pipex. So far, so good. Their 'office' side has been very efficient.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Because they provide a highly restricted, filtered and dumbed down version of the net. Their integrated setup encourages users to not think for themselves, and descend further into the quagmire of cluelessness.

What's more their customer service is appalling.

My 2c - clara.net. Reassuringly expensive, and unrivaled level of service.

Reply to
Grunff

What sort of completion are you seeing on NTL, and what sort of retention?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Because when you connect up to AOL you wonder where the internet is !!

Reply to
AK

Another vote for PlusNet here - we have a couple of broadband accounts with them. Service and support has been first rate. Solwise do some good routers as well - we supply lots of them to our customers and have not had any complaints yet.

Reply to
John Rumm

I think they may be changing the way their infrastructure works. It certainly used to be impossible to setup for use with a router, then a while ago it just became difficult - now it is heading towards being much the same as with any other ISP.

They are expensive for what you get (unless you value the AOL "content")... They seem to be having difficulty now lots of their customers are beginning to realise that much of what they are getting they can get elsewhere for less.

Reply to
John Rumm

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Too BLOODY true the stupid bastards! I'd sack the whole shebang and hang Margaret Thatcher for that alone

I often wonder if I would have needed so much help to get up and running with them initially if it hadn't been for Bloody Terrible

I don't like the AOL newsgroups as they disappear after 6 months I believe. I haven't tried them since upgrading to AOL 9. With BB I get macAffee firewall free. Although I was happy with free ZA.

I like the downloader and the way that Favourites are stored both online and on your computer. I like the free help online or on the phone 8am to

12pm. You get a load of webspace but it has a naff address. Easy loading binaries and loads of free spam.

Also a great plus for those who have no need for security features such as disabling Active X (what an appropriate name that cracker portal has) is the AOL check up offered with AOL 9. Anyone find it useful?

I loaded Mozilla and Firefox but what is the problem with binaries? And what is Emule?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

used to through Google web pages. Also I can't used my other ISPs Email services through them now That used to work, but their system" will not relay outgoing messages"

THE Q

Reply to
the q

Retention is, as usual, rubbish. About a day or so in the busy groups and about 3-5 days in the less busy ones. Completion is a sore point ;) Although across 12 different server addresses, I've managed to download most of the stuff I've wanted. Mostly US tv shows, before anyone asks ;) And yes I do have Sky, so I don't see it as piracy, 'cos I'm already paying to see them later :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee