OT..best broadband provider?

In message , geoff writes

that's not funny :(

Reply to
NoSpamThanks

[24 lines snipped]

Careful inspection of MAC addresses will show that it was someone else. But it's a reasonable point nonetheless.

Probably unwise to joke about, these days.

Reply to
Huge

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@stejonda.freeuk.com:

Ah! It was a while ago that ours was installed - perhaps the advice has changed with the demise of analogue.

Having to pay TV, telephone and internet separately. Having a 'must pay by DD to get a discount' system - and failing to collect. We had an anomalous situation in which we paid by online transfer and got the discount due to their earlier cockups. They insisted it was changed to DD and then screwed up repeatedly. Various oddities like that. Not sure what has happened recently as I think some changes were on the cards.

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

MAC can be trivially forged.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Maxie, you are funny.

Reply to
IMM

Downright disgusting. :(

Reply to
IMM

... by someone who knows what they are doing.

Reply to
Huge

Not very likley actually. My isp has always done so and I've been with them for years and years (and now on adsl).

Reply to
Simon Gardner

Reply to
Simon Gardner

Well, yes. Or someone who is interested in the subject, and has read a few web-pages, before embarking on their quest for a crackable link.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Which is? What sort of binary retention do they have?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Try looking at the headers.

No idea. Couple of days to a week I should think.

Reply to
Simon Gardner

Have you actually tried using binaries, or are you assuming that because the groups are in the list that they work?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

When I went to BB (from just cable TV / phone) they said I could have it done for free if I went digital or 25 quid to stay analogue.

Digital meant no distributed CTV / TV in each room (watch chan A in one room, Sky in another and record summat else on another) so stayed analogue?

I wanted to take my 150K (9.99) BB up to 600k (14.99) and they said I had to go DD?

I said 'no thanks' and left it.

A month later I got an e-mail telling me my services would be updated to 600k and would cost the same as the old service for the first 3 months (or summat) then go to 14.99. Didn't force DD on me either ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

They work. I just tried one and they work.

Reply to
Simon Gardner

What sort of completion of multipart articles does it have?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I have absolutely no idea. I'd have to do a survey across a reasonably representative sample of such groups over a reasonable period of time to answer that. Looks pretty good at a quick glance.

Reply to
Simon Gardner

But the MAC addresses won't be seen outside of the local over-the-air net (and any local wired LAN to which the access point is connected). At the level of any Internet-connected peer machine (server with illegal content, multiple targets of spam, HTTP-reverse-proxy for laundering phishing scams, etc etc etc) all that's going to be seen and possibly recorded is the IP address of the access point, possibly NATted to some IP address in the access provider's range. So when Plod (or 'Uncle Len' as we call our favourite NHTCU boss) comes knocking on the door of the premises on which the access point is housed, there's most unlikely to be anything to back up the 'it wasn't me Guv, must've been someone driving by in a Centrino' story. (Any ARP cache entries will have expired long before the long arm of the law comes round for a look - and will certainly not survive reboots or the power-down which is a customary and on-balance-rational part of the equipment seizure-and-inspection protocol).

Ob d-i-y: all the more reason to keep an old PC running OpenBSD with d-i-y iptables entries as the link (as bridge or router depending on your religion) between your WiFi access point and the rest of your home network...

Stefek

Reply to
stefek.zaba

Bugger it

If you have nothing to hide, there's nothing to fear

... and I refuse to PC about things like that

nothing is sacred

Reply to
geoff

Hahahahahahahahaha