Scottish Power Tariffs

Old Scottish Power fixed E7 tarrif expired at the end of December. Hunted about but their "Online Fixed Saver Narch 2018" was the best I could find but was a fiver or so a month more. Wanted the new rates for my spreadsheet so loggged into their website and the easiest way to find the figures(*) was to use the "change tariff" bit. This coughed up their "Online Fixed Saver March 2018 v2", unit rates roughly a penny cheaper but standing charge considerably higher. Website said it would save me £88/year, my spreadsheet over £90... V

2 must have been launched fairly recently as it was only just before Christmas I did the change and it wasn't available then. £90 saving is worth doing even with the £30 "cancellation charge", o r "exit fee". However that £30 charge/fee *only* applies if I leave Scottish Power, just changing tariff (thus getting a new contract) doesn't trigger it. B-)

Maybe that is common knowledge but it was (good) news to me! Weasel words in the description IMHO. It should be "Supplier [ Change | Switch ] Fee" or similar.

(*) The obvious place "view TCR" in the "your tariff box" leads you to a form with loads of fields. Why? I'm logged in, it knows what tariff I'm on, it knows where I live, take me straight to that tariffs information FFS! And the tab of the silly pop out help thingy covers up the last two digits of your account number...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

When eon's v19 fix expires, I'll jump from under £50/month to over £66/month, that ScotPower March looks like it's about the best for me too, both standing charges lower, gas unit rates 23% higher, elec unit rates 65% higher than at present.

I think they're obliged to show the TCR stuff, even if they have accurate info on your precise rates.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Check out the SP Cancer charity one - fix to end Jan 2019 at not a great deal more than the March 18 fix. Unit prices are the same but the standing charge is a tad higher.

Reply to
Mark Allread

Have a look at

I get an email when/if a better deal than my current one comes along.

BTDTGTeMail(s) I don't think they have ever been significantly better than my current tariffs.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Agreed the (useless IMHO)(*) TCR has to be available. I'm taking issue with fact the site wanted me to fill in half dozen fields on a form when it "knows" all the information it's asking for.

(*) Useless as it uses an "average consumption" figure so if your use isn't average the TCR can be way off the mark.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Agreed. Unit rate plus standing charge isn't exactly complicated. (A bit like people who use complicated ways to convert between Fahrenheit and Celsius, when the accurate way isn't exactly difficult.)

Reply to
Max Demian

They currently can't find anything better than the one I'm on at the moment, but at least I get an email when they do and I can decide whether or not to go for it.

That depends how "mathematically challenged" you are. The number cruching is basic but being able to work out how the numbers need to be cruched is (sadly) beyond many.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The Fixed 2018 works out cheaper than Fixed 2018 v2 for me.

So goodbye eon, been with them since they were powergen, they had been very keen on prices the past three or four years, but now they want to jump from £51/m to £75/m variable or £71/m for two year fix, so £61/m for one year fix with scot power it is.

They make no promises about retaining smart meter functionality, but I'll still have the in house display, so entering online readings will be easier than ever.

Reply to
Andy Burns