OT (a little) DAB radios and battery life

Listening to Radio 4 this morning they did an item on (I think) Norway and their switch to Digital radio - it appears that by the end of 2017 FM radio switch off in that country will be complete.
Anyway the bloke said that approximately 48% of UK radio listening was now digital and when this reaches 50% a date will be set for UK FM switch off.
When DAB first came out it was reported that all sets consumed batteries like it was going out of fashion and as they all used basically the same chip they were all as bad as one another.
I have an FM radio that sits in the bathroom and gets used for about 30 mins a day. 4 rechargeable C cells last about 3 months or thereabouts. Direct connection to the mains is not an option.
Has the design of DAB radios moved on such that it is now possible to get acceptable performance from disposable or rechargeable C/D batteries. I'm not keen on bespoke rechargeable as the replacement cost (even if available in 5/10/15 years time) will doubtless be astronomic.
--
Chris B (News)

There's bespoke rechargeable, as in a wierd battery pack that fits in the C/D slot, and bespoke as in a lithium battery that fits inside. Those can be a bog standard 3-wire lithium pouch cell - find one about the right size and you're done.
That kind of radio can charge from a phone charger, so it makes charging less of a hassle. I'm thinking of things like this: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/dab-radios/xdr-p1dbp (15-20 hours battery life) which have a battery pack that looks like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rechargeable-Battery-SF-03-For-SONY-XDR-P1DBP-Pocket-DAB-Radio-/182382582414
A lot of the DAB radios are stuck in 1960s as regards their battery arrangements, not just their styling.
Theo
On 11/01/2017 16:19, Chris B wrote:

Yes it was Norway. DAB has various problems, it takes a lot of processing power to decode hence short battery life, it is expensive to transmit and generally of low quality because better quality uses more bandwidth and therefore costs more. Two dab radios tuned to the same station will not be in sync unlike two FM radios
There are some good quality stations on the Internet.
--
Michael Chare

can't get those in my car
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On 11/01/2017 17:00, charles wrote:

Yes you can. Smart phone and bluetooth to the in car system - it might cost you if you don't have all you can eat data but for audio streaming it gives a fair amount of listening time.
My DAB tuners at home spend all their time on internet radio these days since they are hopeless as decoding DAB codecs lock up too often.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

You complain about poor DAB reception on the move - but think a phone is going to be better?

How do you get internet radio with a DAB tuner?
--
*HOW IS IT POSSIBLE TO HAVE A CIVIL WAR?

London SW

scribeth thus

--
Tony Sayer

The internet - and anything digital - will also be out of sync with analogue.
--
*Change is inevitable ... except from vending machines *

Dave Plowman (News) was thinking very hard :

Analogue is also often sent over digital links, to the transmitters.

and has been since the 1970s
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 20:43:02 +0000 (GMT), charles

with

transmitters.

I thought they used NICAM.
--
Max Demian

Max Demian was thinking very hard :

NICAM is digital!
On 11/01/2017 22:39, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Yebbut it is 'near instantaneous' (whatever that means), so the delays should be minimal.
--
Max Demian

correct - that's a digital system
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

And a clue is in the 'Near Instantaneous' bit which was a requirement in analogue days.
--
*White with a hint of M42*

Yes but at least it decodes correctly and has a Hifi bitrate.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Describe the 'Hi-Fi' you are using to listen on? You seem to be jumping from in car to to bedroom to whatever.
--
*I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it *

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 16:52:50 +0000, Michael Chare

As a matter of interest, do higher bitrates use more power to decode?
On 15/01/2017 21:50, Scott wrote:

A bit more but the big jump is in going from a classic few transistor analogue radio design where listening volume determines battery life to a power hungry digital processor with many thousands of transistors in. The chipsets have improved a bit from the early days when they were only "battery powered" with D cells and then only for a very short time.
The faster you clock a CPU the more power it uses but the speeds needed for digital audio are quite low eg. two channels @ 44.1kHz sample rate.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown