Mobile Phones - Battery Life

I can't be the only one that needs a compact robust mobile phone that doesn't need recharging every day and does the basics very well. I have had a Nokia 6303i for ages and that was ideal until it had a terminal encounter with a bucket of water. I have gone back to my previous 6300 but its battery life was never much good when new and is much worse now.
I am in the market for a new mobile phone, but I have very specific requirements for maximum standby time and talk time between charges. I have no need of facebook, twitter or 3G on this phone. It does need to last well and work when it accepts incoming calls on lowish battery. It is no use if it bumbles along and then dies sounding the ringtone!
It is likely to be used a lot in regions of poor 2G signal coverage and so when in use will be transmitting at or near maximum power.
My jaundiced view of the present mobile phone market is that touch screen all singing all dancing web browser things are now de rigeur. Not what I want at all. Even considering buying another 6303 secondhand which would at least give me something I know my way around.
A quick survey of classic mobile phones gives me the following candidates (but it is hard work finding talk/standby hours).
Ranked in order of battery life (and probable robustness)             Talk    Standby    / hours Samsung XCover        19    1000 Samsung GT S5260 II     7     900 Nokia Asha201         7     890 (alpha keypad) Nokia 206        20     680 Nokia C5        12     600 Nokia C7         5     650
All in theory with better figures than the 6303.
I have my suspicions that makers standby hours are measured inside a hermetically sealed Faraday cage with no ambient RF signals at all. I never get anything like the makers claimed standby life on mine.
Any other suggestions for well built classic mobiles with *really* good battery life (or with extended life aftermarket batteries)?
Any experience of these phones and suggestions of which to avoid? (some come in various flavours with variations in battery life)
In theory the Samsung XCover would appear to be a good candidate and would have survived the dunking that killed its predecessor. It is a bit on the chunky side though...
Thanks for any enlightenment.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 11:33:48 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

Sounds like you are in the market for an *old* mobile phone ;)
Got SWMBO an HTC Wildfire last year. It came preloaded with Facebook, and unless you go through some quite technical hoops, it can't be removed.
On 18/04/2013 11:50, Jethro_uk wrote:

I wouldn't recommend that. I had one and it needed charging every day to ensure it didn't run out of juice. I didn't use it very heavily.

If you disable GPS, wifi and 3G (use just 2G) and attach a "pregnant" battery, it'll last a week. Probably; mine does.
--
Roland Perry

On 18/04/2013 15:43, Roland Perry wrote:

Kind of defeats having a smartphone, though. Useful to know, however, as I've passed it onto my wife.
I used it primarily for 3G and wifi, she won't.
On 18/04/2013 14:11, chris wrote:

Most smart-phones seem to default to everything switched on.
The charge in my smart-phone battery lasted less than a day when first purchased. It now lasts 4 days+
Screen backlight turned down to a minimum 3G turned off most of the time (GSM only rather than WCDMA preferred) GPS turned off until needed Wi-fi turned off until needed Mobile network turned off until needed Bluetooth turned off until needed
--
mailto:newsadmac(dot}myzencouk

On 18/04/2013 11:33, Martin Brown wrote:

I bought a nokia 2610 off EBay (which looked brand new) but found I couldn't read anything on the screen outdoors. I couldn't even see the clock, so it's now languishing in a drawer

I think you might have that the wrong way round. I suspect they test near a receiver, so the transmit power can be negotiated down.
If it were me, I'd try to get another 6303i, and probably end up storming out of these useless mobile phone shops.
I like clamshell phones and am fairly happy with my Nokia 2720, which I bought in an emergency for daughter when she dropped her phone in the bath. She then lost this one, she bought another, and I inherited this when it re-appeared.
It bends a bit when I sit on it, but hasn't broken. The battery lasts from 4 to 7 days, even though it has a relatively small battery (850mAh?) = fairly quick to charge. The camera is mediocre and, because of the clamshell, is often behind a hand or finger.
What depresses me is the price. I bought this at £30, the second one was £40 and they now seem to be £70 or £80, which is ludicrous for a basic phone.
I've been into quite a few phone shops over the years because of daughter, phones and the bath, and am always amazed by the lack of choice for basic models. I can't understand why clamshells seem so rare.
--
Bill

Bill wrote:

Try a supermarket instead: http://www.tesco.com/direct/sim-free-unlocked-nokia-100-black/326-4349.prd?skuId26-4349&pageLevelNineteen quid.
which I found from here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/18/ten_phones_for_seniors/print.html

Lack of demand?
Different things are popular around the world. IIRC the clamshell is more popular in the East, BICBW. An example I am more confident of is that the USA really *likes* (or liked) little stubby aerials coming out of the top of their mobe, and the Europeans really *disliked* such.

That Tesco site for the Nokia 100 says
Power Standby Time (hrs) 840 Talk Time (hrs) 432
which surely cannot be right.
And I went to Tesco looking for a clamshell phone. They had nothing suitable.
And I have a Sony Xperia which is great for listening to internet radio at home via wifi, but would be hopeless carried round in my pocket with the keys, coins, tape measure etc etc. Its battery lasts 48 hours at most, and it never makes a phone call.
--
Bill

On 18/04/2013 15:55, Bill wrote:

Standby time (2G): 609.3 h Talk time (2G): 6.7 h
http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/phones/phone/100/specifications/
--
Rod

says...

If you take that "Talk Tine" as minutes rather than hours, it sounds about right, so it's a typo.
--
Sam

Got one of they and its now on it's original battery for some 3 years;!...

Yes most useless establishments they are..

Used to have a Motorola clam shell but it was involved in an accident. I survived it didn't;!,...

Shows that their good then;).

Suppose the is the market as perceived by the makers they never think of those who just need a simple phone!...
--
Tony Sayer

Bill wrote:
<snip>

Although they are very popular in the USA, the hinge adds an extra level of unreliability
Steve Terry
--
Get a free GiffGaff PAYG Sim and 5 bonus after activation at:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gfourwwk

Look at the Samsung E1200 http://www.tesco.com/direct/sim-free-unlocked-samsung-e1200- black/786-3368.prd
I have an earlier model but with the same battery specs (800hr standby, 10hr talk) and I only recharge once every week or two.
On 18/04/2013 11:33, Martin Brown wrote: ...

I had the Nokia C5, mainly because it was the one of the few phones for which I could get a carrier that would link it into my car's hands free system and built-in aerial. I then kept forgetting to take it out of the car when I got out, so it usually ended up staying in my shirt pocket, linked to the car by Bluetooth, instead. I have quite a lot of low signal areas around here and I doubt that being inside a car improves reception. I never had any problems with battery life while putting it on charge once or twice a week.
Colin Bignell
On Thursday, 18 April 2013 11:33:48 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:

Can I at least raise the question of "Ludditery"? My wife thought the same as you do, but (despite not being a twitter or facebook user) now loves he r poor-battery-life smartphone.
She takes the benefits from it (integrated sat nav, emails out and about, e ase of use, voice activation, bluetooth capabilities, sports-tracking, game playing, app using etc etc) and has made adaptations to her concept of req uired charging - puts it on to charge overnight, puts it in a car charger w hen she is driving etc etc. For those small penalties, she gets the additi onal benefits.
It might be a bit like taking a look at Ford Model-T early last century and complaining that it doesn't work well when fed with grass and shod with ir on shoes from the black-smiths...
(You may have a perfectly good reason for looking for a more traditional mo bile phone, but I thought I'd raise the question at least!)
Matt
On 18/04/2013 13:55, larkim wrote:

you do, but (despite not being a twitter or facebook user) now loves her poor-battery-life smartphone.
You can raise it - yes.
I have access to an Android smartphone and 3G dongles but what I want from this phone is absolute longevity in fairly adverse conditions.
Bluetooth is useful, WiFi would be nice, but battery life is paramount! I'd prefer it to have a decent (for a phone) >3Mpixel camera but would happily compromise on that to get longer battery life.

of use, voice activation, bluetooth capabilities, sports-tracking, game playing, app using etc etc) and has made adaptations to her concept of required charging - puts it on to charge overnight, puts it in a car charger when she is driving etc etc. For those small penalties, she gets the additional benefits.

complaining that it doesn't work well when fed with grass and shod with iron shoes from the black-smiths...
Or today looking at showrooms that only offer insane overweight SUV gas guzzlers with bulldozer, crane and cherry picker attachments fitted as standard when what you want is a sleek motorbike to get from A to B.

If I could have a smartphone that would do 600+ hours on standby then I would quite happily use one. I am not a Luddite by any means, but neither am I someone who buys the latest model of phone because it has a fancier case, 100 more pixels or a 2% increase in processor speed.
I know how often the smartphone needs recharging and I don't want that!
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 18/04/2013 14:20, Martin Brown wrote:
snip

Why? I just charge mine overnight using a £20 bedside clock radio.
Don't get me wrong - I'd happily pay for the convenience of long life batteries. But that's all it is to me - an inconvenience that can be overcome quite easily.
Rob
On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 05:55:21 -0700, larkim wrote:

My wife was the same. Until one day, a couple of years ago. She had a hospital appointment, and at the end the receptionist said they could book her in for the next one there and then. I started getting my [Windows] work phone out, to check the calendar, and make an entry. The first two dates I nished (she had other appointments), and we settled on a 3rd. My wife asked how come I had her appointments on my phone ...
"Well, when I make an entry on my work calendar, it synchs with the phone" "Could I have something like that ?"
now she loves it. Use gsynch with her hotmail account, and she can synch appointments with me (and vice-versa). Although she's also getting used to email on the move.