Mobile Phones - Battery Life

Theo Markettos wrote:

But are those times correct? I don't believe any of those will out last a Nokia 6310i
Steve Terry
--
Get a free GiffGaff PAYG Sim and 5 bonus after activation at:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gfourwwk
On 22/04/2013 10:45, Steve Terry wrote:

That is a good question - which is why I asked. I was hoping a few owners might chime in with how long theirs lasts between charges. Only interested in models that survive a week or more without any trouble. (and preferably two weeks)
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Martin Brown wrote:

You can make a 6310i last a month if you buy an optional 3000mAh li-ion battery
Only it's a bit bulky being the same size as the original 900mAh Ni-Mh battery used on the 1997 Nokia 5110.
Steve Terry
--
Get a free GiffGaff PAYG Sim and 5 bonus after activation at:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gfourwwk
I used to have a 6310i last 1 week, 24hrs/day.

11:16:37 +0100 the perfect time to write:

Best I've seen is 1500mAh - do you have a source for the larger ones? Also, does the handset still fit into the CARK-91 cradle with one of those large batteries?

Get an old 6310? Probably the best phone I've ever used for reception.
No fancy internet or anything, just a solid phone. Probably why they still demand decent money :-(
http://www.nokia6310i.co.uk/
(never used these people btw, no idea on how good/bad they might be!)
Darren
On 18/04/2013 11:33, Martin Brown wrote:

Got a Samsung GT-C3350. Battery life is _weeks_. Supposed to be waterproof, though I haven't tested it.
Andy
The best phone ever is indeed the 6310i and you may as well get another one.
All the fancier models have relatively crap battery life because the screens use so much power.
In fact ALL the smartphones are crap on battery life, compared to the 6310i and other phones from that era, but most people have accepted that, in return for the multimedia functionality.
I have a Nokia 808 which manages 2 days and 2 nights ON if you hardly use it. The other extreme is satnav, max brightness, 3G on, GPS on obviously, etc, and it will go for maybe 6hrs. But in a car you can power it. Heavily used for phone calls it will last a whole day and that is pretty good for smartphones. It has a superb camera - the best there is in a pocket size.
The "standby" time is a complete lie. It is never achieved. It may be the time before the battery flattens itself powering the clock, with the phone switched OFF.

It's also because 3G takes much more power than 2G. How quickly people forget that the first tranche of 3G phones were much delayed because they couldn't get the battery life up to an acceptable level (8-10hrs standby perhaps).
--
Roland Perry

It's definitely NOT what the OP was asking, but here's my 2p worth ...
On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 18:42:02 +0100, Peter

I think I had one of the Nokia 62xx series. It was good for the time, but I wouldn't want to go back to it now.

Yes, but the important word there is relatively.

Yes.
Having actually dispensed with mobiles altogether for a number of years, I approached buying a new one with a very great deal of scepticism. However, I needed one while I was between houses, and bought a Samsung Galaxy II GT-N7100, together with a car charger, and now I wouldn't want to be without it.
While I was between houses, I was able to read email, browse the web, check my bank account, etc. If only because the phone had an unfamiliar interface, it wasn't as hassle free as being back in my own home and using ADSL and a laptop is now once more, but at the time such a phone was absolutely essential for managing my life. I was able to keep it charged up using the car charger as I drove around looking at houses.
Now, I simply charge it overnight next to my bed, and its alarm will wake me in the morning.
Besides being just a phone, there are so many other things I find useful about it ...
+++ I can read most things on it without glasses, and certainly all the important things.
+++ It seems to be fairly robust. I thought that it might break when I dropped it, and/or the screen scratch really easily. I've dropped it onto tarmac from around chest height, and, although I had to clip some of the back into place, it seems none the worse for it. I'm quite careful about protecting the screen as far as possible. I either put it in a pocket with nothing else in it, or at least ensure the screen is facing the material of which the pocket is made. After six months, it's virtually pristine - there are a couple of very small blemishes in one corner, probably from the drop, but otherwise, still smooth and shiny, which is much better than I expected.
+++ The excellent camera. It's really surprisingly good and versatile, again much better than I ever expected it to be.
Although I still use a torch and mirror to see into inaccessible places, the camera is also very good at that too.
Photos of the labels on the underside of my laptops, scanner, etc, so that I have readable and permanent proof of ownership. Yes, I could do that with my digital camera, but the batteries don't last two minutes.
Photos of events on the notice-board outside the local shop. Photos of the local chippy's opening times.
Happly holiday snap pictures in all sorts of lighting conditions, even driving rain at dusk (as long as you don't get water on the actual lens, which is so small that the result will be blurred, but that's easily cured just by wiping it clean):
http://www.macfh.co.uk/PrivTest/Kylerhea-SquallAtDusk.jpg
Panoramas - more years ago than I care to admit remembering, I staggered to the top of Ben Cruachan with a rucksack full of some fairly expensive still film camera equipment, with which I hoped to create a panorama from the top. However, because I forgot that I should take them all at the same exposure (doh!), I was never able to join the individual pictures together. Now my mobile phone, which, though large, still fits in my trouser pocket, can do a better job - I say 'can', by which I mean that in about 1 or 2 out of 10 attempts, the result will be near perfect, with barely visible or completely invisible joins, in about 6 the joins will be visible to a greater or lesser extent, and another 1 or 2 just won't work at all. However, it, too, doesn't take the pics all at the same exposure, and I think I could get a higher percentage of usable results if I had more control over the stitching process. Nevertheless here are two pretty good examples:
http://www.macfh.co.uk/PrivTest/Lochalsh.jpg
http://www.macfh.co.uk/PrivTest/CommandoMemorial.jpg
+++ Travel directions - set up the journey, and have it warn you by 'voice' of upcoming junctions and tell you which way to turn. This is especially useful where you need to turn off a main road onto a side road, as it saves you missing the turning. Would like to be able to wipe the history list though. This drains the battery quite fast, but I have the car charger.
+++ Dropbox or equivalent syncing mechanism
Previously, I used to carry my shopping list in my head, confident in the knowledge that, should I forget anything, I was at least within walking distance to the nearest supermarket. Now, I live a LONG way from the nearest decent supermarket, so it's VERY important NOT to forget things! However, I maintain a permanent shopping list on my PC, and when in the supermarket I can scroll through it on the phone to check I haven't forgotten anything.
Likewise, I keep a list of local services such as shops, library, recycling centre, etc (-: now including the chippy :-), with their rather odd opening times. That too is replicated on my phone.
+++ Google Maps and Streetview
Essential tools when looking for a house to buy.
+++ Internet - before buying, can check prices and opinions for products one sees in a shop, etc.
+++ Alarm/Timer - also available on older phones, of course.
+++ Can read downloaded literature. In fact, I keep that in my Dropbox as well, so that it's available on any machine I use.
+++ Apps, for example:
QR and barcode recognition app RSPB bird recognition app UK Tides app
Surely I must have some dislikes about it? Yes ...
- It's relatively large size, though great for avoiding the need for glasses when wearing it, does mean that it needs quite a large pocket. Also, in certain pockets, and having its on-off switch buttons on its side, sometimes when I bend over, say to tie a bootlace, the phone reboots.
--- The legends on the maps are often illegibly small, so that, for example, you can't even read a road number such as A87.
--- Would really like to share at least the camera and other data folders so that I can manage files and back it up via Wifi from a PC. There are apps that allow this, but they all require rooting (gaining root, administrator, access to) the machine. However, I can at least back it up by direct connection via USB.
--- Would like the phone's software to work with W2k. After all, it's the same major version number as XP, so how different can it be under the bonnet? However, at least I've managed to upgrade my standard W2k build to XP, at last, so this laptop can talk to it.

You might care to try actually owning one for a while. As my experience above shows, even an old sceptic like me can be converted to a smartphone!
However, if you really do need just a basic phone, then doubtless some of the other suggestions will do.
snipped-for-privacy@evij.com.invalid says...

Gorilla glass. I too have been very impressed with the scratch resistant capabilities of this glass on my s3. I would not now buy a smartphone without it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla_Glass
--
Alan LeHun
Reply-to is valid. Add "BPSF" to subject: to bypass spam filters.
Java Jive wrote:

Does the phone also store the individual shots? If so there are free stitching programs out there.
I understand about keeping the same exposure, but how do you handle it if the lighting conditions are such that some of the shots would be unacceptably under/over exposed?
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

Use an app with HDR. (In effect takes three photos at different exposures, then blends them.)
--
Roland Perry

What App do you use for this? I have only recently been introduced to HDR.
--
(\__/) M.

I use Pro HDR Camera by eyeapps, available for Android and iThings. It doesn't do panoramas, but the PC application "ptgui" copes with quite severe differences in exposure when stitching normal photos together. It's not free, though.
--
Roland Perry

Thanks for the info. It's nice to see an Android App that doesn't want full internet control and to read you address book!
--
(\__/) M.
On 19/04/2013 10:41, Roland Perry wrote:

In that case try Hugin. http://hugin.sourceforge.net/ It's free and based on the same libraries. IIRC ptgui is just a front-end, as is Hugin.

As far as I've been able to establish, no, unfortunately. This is where the actual digital camera would win, if its batteries weren't so f**ked that it never stays on for long enough to allow experiment.

You just have to accept that, say, the area around the sun will be over-exposed, but that's at least better than this, where the whole shot containing the sun has been exposed differently, and therefore the stitching is unacceptably obvious:
http://www.macfh.co.uk/PrivTest/BadStitch.jpg

If the new gaff is around that area perhaps indicated re the grumbling of the poor mobile phone coverage I reckon the view and surroundings win's hands down:).
Where is that exactly?, and is there a small cottage in the middle on the left hand side?..
--
Tony Sayer

Alas, the price of properties around there that I would have actually wanted to buy, although falling in price, were tantalisingly out of reach, and I decided that I had to make do with what I could afford then without waiting any longer, so went elsewhere. I'm not complaining though. It's nice around here too, though not quite so spectacularly so.

Absolutely.

For anyone interested, the locations of the shots I've posted are as follows (to get the full effect of the panoramas, I suggest zooming in so that the height fills the screen and then slowly panning across them):
http://www.macfh.co.uk/PrivTest/BadStitch.jpg
Aird, Isle Of Skye, Oct 2012 Long:    -5.936944 Lat:        57.041943 This panorama is so badly stitched that AFAICR it's even missing chunks out of it - I think the original series of shots encompassed a wider field of view. I hadn't got to grips with the shortcomings of the panorama setting by then.
http://www.macfh.co.uk/PrivTest/Kylerhea-SquallAtDusk.jpg
Kylerhea, Isle Of Skye, Nov 2012 Long:    -5.673056 Lat:        57.280278
http://www.macfh.co.uk/PrivTest/Lochalsh.jpg
From The Murchison Memorial, nr Kyle Of Lochalsh, Nov 2012 Long:    -5.722222 Lat:        57.221669
http://www.macfh.co.uk/PrivTest/CommandoMemorial.jpg
From The Commando Memorial, nr Spean Bridge, Dec 2012 Long:    -4.944167 Lat:        56.897778