OT (a little) DAB radios and battery life

That's a very Trump-like denial, flying in the face of what you actually said.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I also have both those DAB radios. I use Lidl rechargeables without any trouble and my battery life is roughly the same as yours.

Some other DAB radios might have a greater power consumption. Some years ago a comparative test showed wide variation between sets and that's probably still true.

"Energy Consumption of Digital Radios"

I too prefer the Sony. The Panasonic might peform better (although it doesn't scan FM) but the Sony is easier to use.

Reply to
pamela

I think somebody was complaining in another group about the BBC going over to a different codec (or whatever it's called) and this meant some Internet radios couldn't hear the new streams. Or something like that. It put me off using the internet as a main radio option.

Are you using the TuneIn radio service? That seems to have a vast number of stations.

Reply to
pamela

As a matter of interest, how many radio stations do you listen to?

Most people I know seem to stick to the same one all day. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think OP is asking about the situation if (when?) FM is switched off. Are you suggesting satellite or Internet, or are you saying just to stop listening?

Reply to
Scott

As a matter of interest, do higher bitrates use more power to decode?

Reply to
Scott

This is really a Ping Pamela, but I always feel that looks a bit shouty in a Subject line ...

What charger do you use? I've had various chargers over the years, and the one I use now (Uniross Sprint, used for A4s) is now quite a few years old. I'm thinking of getting a newer one, partly on the basis of technology advances.

Cheers John

Reply to
Another John

A bit more but the big jump is in going from a classic few transistor analogue radio design where listening volume determines battery life to a power hungry digital processor with many thousands of transistors in. The chipsets have improved a bit from the early days when they were only "battery powered" with D cells and then only for a very short time.

The faster you clock a CPU the more power it uses but the speeds needed for digital audio are quite low eg. two channels @ 44.1kHz sample rate.

Reply to
Martin Brown

If I want to try out some offbeat radio station then TuneIn seems to have it.

A blogger wrote about their local radio station in the US and said it played interesting music. I was able to find it quickly with TuneIn.

Reply to
pamela

That all depends. If you want to do audio processing in digital, you need a far far higher rate.

If you want to do RF or IF processing or decoding, you need a far far higher rate.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Actually mine are Lidl Tronic batteries, not Aldi.

I use the Lidl Tronic charger - seems to do the job.

I also have one that measures the amount of charge (if that's the right term) a battery has taken. The Aldi charger pretty much tops them up, and takes a fraction of the time (< 1 hr for AA, 2-3 hours for C).

Reply to
RJH

I've got the Lidl Tronic which takes up to 6 AA/AAA or 4 D cells at once. Nicad or NiMH. Quite a large unit with the PS built in rather than a wall wart. Very pleased with it - it gets a great deal of use. Think I saw similar on offer recently.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nothing to do with Trump either. This was set up before trump was born.

you'll be telling us next that the NHS was set up by the EU.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Read it properly instead of knee jerking. Trump-LIKE. Contradicting yourself and denying it afterwards.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Then explain it properly. Where did I contradict myslef ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

I've one of those, but it gets used for only a few hours a month. The first one died after about 2y 10m, so I e-mailed Lidl, sent a scan of the receipt (yes, I keep thos and know where to find them ) and a new one arrived a couple of days later. I still feel a tinge of guilt, but am impressed with the service.

BTW, I think that Lidl owed me. I've had 4 PIRs and 1 was dead out of the box, 1 half worked (came on whatever the lux setting) and 2 broke down within a year of fitting. ICBA to chse for more of the same.

Reply to
PeterC

In article , grjw scribeth thus

It is not, streaming over 3 or 4 G isn't that wonderful once you leave urban areas;!.

Reply to
tony sayer

I use a Lidl Tronic charger. I've got an old Tronic KH 980 and a newer Tronic TLG 1000. Both charge up to four C cells at a time at

1000 mAh each cell.

My chargers are the opposite of your Uniross Sprint as they bulky and very solid and feel thay have been made by a tank factory. I think they're rebadged Ansmanns. They work very well although it takes most of the day to charge a set of C cell NiMHs which have run down.

Nowadays Lidl NiMHs are low self discharge, so I keep a spare set of charged C cells in case the radio stops working just at a time when I need it.

Reply to
pamela

Good service from Lidl. Trouble is they never have a particular product on offer when you need it.

Maybe one day someone enterprising will supply this sort of Lidl/Aldi hardware with a 15 or 20% markup because I would buy at that price.

Reply to
pamela

I've seen Lidl/Aldi stuff on Ebay at a markup after an offer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)