Clock Radios

My present device is now approaching 20 years old, and I am wondering about getting one which does its tuning using something more sophisticated than the traditional knob and length of string.
As ever, my life on the edge of the bell curve seems to mean that designers have priorities different from mine.
Amongst the desirable attributes I wish to retain are:
Large clear LED digits easily read by the short-sighted, permanently illuminated (no need to reach out and tap anything), also displayed when the radio is on, but not so bright that they light the whole bedroom.
At least two easily selectable alarms.
Radio when used as alarm to be the same volume as when last listened, which can be set as low as I want.
Control buttons easily located and operated without my head leaving the pillow, ideally on the front.
Sleep timer with adjustable duration.
Mains operated, with automatic clock synchronisation.
Setting not requiring navigation through lengthy menus.
I guess for future-proofing DAB should be included.
Reading reviews, many seem to fail on several of my requirements.
Any suggestions?
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham
It even has DRM!

I suspect that fails the "easily read at night" test
tim
On 04/01/2017 10:53, tim... wrote:

It will also probably fail completely after about a year. Morphy Richards is just an old obsolete brand name on a bit if chinese tat. Ditto Goodmans.
Try the Roberts Radio Website
On Friday, 6 January 2017 00:13:41 UTC, Andrew wrote:

It is still working in my garage right now as you can see here and it is -5C.

https://youtu.be/-eAMeC6FG3s

https://youtu.be/-eAMeC6FG3s

<snip> >It is still working in my garage right now as you can see here and it is -5C.
It's -5C in your garage???
Bloody hell - what is it outside?
On Wednesday, 11 January 2017 11:27:11 UTC, Judith wrote:

2C - I HAVE MY FRIDGE ON FULL BLAST WITH THE DOOR OPEN TO KEEP MY HOME BREW COLD.

aren't they Far Eastern as well?
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Yes. They can buy in chassis for a fraction of what they could make them for themselves. So just concentrate on the cabinet and looks.
--
*Why is a boxing ring square?

Looking it up, I find they are now a subsidiary of Glen Dimplex - an Irish Company.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Have a look at some of the own brand from John Lewis - they will meet most of your needs, just be careful about illumination levels and space needed behind for power connection. The Sony 'cube' is quite good but make sure to get the more expensive version that has two alarms and digital (as against analogue) tuning. I bought a Pure Sienna Mk2 which on the face of it was a good radio but had to return it as - like most Pure radios - it seems to have a very limited HF cut-off and so sounds unnaturally muffled. Roberts do a quite nice unit with large digits and a curved front but at ?70 it is expensive. We faced the problem of not being able to see the clock at night so I bought a clock radio of Sainsburys own brand (?13) which has red LED digits about 2.5" high and put it on the other side of the room just as a clock. Surprisingly the digits are not too bright and it is <very> easy to read. Most importantly look for a unit with a comparatively large speaker - some are less than 2" across and distirt easily.
I would suggest that as you live in Nottingham, Jessops would be a good browsing point.
--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com
On 04/01/2017 09:21, Woody wrote:

I have a projection (Red LED) clock that displays the time on my bedroom ceiling. Its much easier to see than a bedside clock.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On 10/01/2017 23:27, alan_m wrote:

I have a speaking watch which I wear 24 hours a day during my work week. At weekends, I don't care what time it is. :-)
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
alan_m wrote:

That very much depends upon your eyesight.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

Very true. The intensity of the characters is very much less than decent LED - even on a white wall.
--
*Confession is good for the soul, but bad for your career.

I suspect focus might be more of a problem
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Not so much with a laser.
--
*Don't squat with your spurs on *

The ability of the user to focus on the ceiling when not wearing contact lenses or glasses.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 07:19:19 +0000, Chris J Dixon

bedroom

I used to have one, but the hassle of having to put on my glasses (to correct short sight) to see the time removed most of the convenience. Fortunately I sleep wearing a watch with luminous hands.
--
Max Demian

Quite. I wear contact lenses to correct 'long' sight and astigmatism, and the only thing that works for me is nice large characters on the alarm at night. Even a well lit analogue alarm isn't much use as a hand can (near) disappear due to the astigmatism. ;-)
Those with 'short' sight are actually lucky. At least there are still some things in focus without correction. ;-)
--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional