Clock Radios

On 04/01/2017 17:40, Martin Brown wrote:

Bit of a whoosh situation there :-)
I find Roberts tend to trade on a name too much - bit like Hoover and Dyson perhaps. I tried one of their internet radios while I was there. Crashed/locked solid.

Yes, that's what I thought about the sound, very boomy and overbearing bass, dull treble.
I do have a Stream 83i - had it for some years now and use it every day. That's pretty good.
--
Cheers, Rob

With a portable radio it's likely the speaker and cabinet which have the major effect on the sound rather than the electronics. Pretty well the same as with anything using speakers.

Ah. The Bose sound. ;-)
--
*Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off NOW.

Click on the above link, then on refurbished at the top of the page and you will find more much cheaper.
--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com
On 04/01/2017 17:49, Woody wrote:

Yes, thanks, they were list in JL, £85 at Richer Sounds, and as you say, £72 refurb. Still wouldn't buy one - if it sounded half decent, I might. Although many on the amazon reviews seem very happy. Oh well.
--
Cheers, Rob

I suggest PURE Siesta Rise http://www.pure.com/digital-radio/products/siesta-rise
Comments as follows:

The Rise has very large time display (which I can read without glasses and while half asleep). Permanent illumination is an option and brightness can be set on a scale of 1 to 5.

It has three. You can have one for weekdays and one for weekends. Unfortunately you cannot differentiate between Saturdays and Sundays.

You can set the radio volume (for when the alarm activates) on a scale of 1 to 32. You will know level when last listened to so you can set it the same.

They are on top as the display occupies the whole front. It would be better if they were were tactile for feeling in the dark but you get used to where they are.

15 minute increments to 60, then 90

Mains or battery operated. Synchronisation can be digital only, FM only or digital and FM.

Depends what you mean by 'lengthy'. You obviously have to go through the various options if you want a radio that provides options.

DAB and DAB+.
On 18:03 4 Jan 2017, Scott wrote:

Looks like a nice product. Pure have chosen an up-market niche and although there are diminishing returns as quality increases, Pure's pricing always seems on the high side.

Just think of them as the Dyson of the audio world.

I would still comment as I did before that IME Pure radios (en bloc) have a very limited high frequency response and seem to have low frequencies boosted that makes them boomy.
I would suggest to the OP that he buys from such as John Lewis so that he can take it back if it is unsuitable.
--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Is this definitely a feature of Pure rather than a problem with DAB in general - compression, low bitrates and an outdated codec?

No, its like that whether on DAB or FM. Compare it with, say, a Sony or Panasonic and the difference jumps out at you.
We have an Evoke 1. I've had a bad cold over the hols and it resulted in a degree of deafness. I turned the Evoke on in the kitchen to listen to the Today prog and with that set at a level that I could hear (not that much higher than normal) it was impossible to listen to. It was so boomy the case rattled and the sound broke up like bubbling mud even though we (now) have a good signal and it doesn't do it at lower levels. I even tried plugging the bass port underneath with a large cork but it made no difference.
--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com
On 04/01/2017 20:33, Scott wrote:

It is a "feature" rather than a benefit of almost all of the modern smallish domestic kit. Done I presume for the aging disco ghetto blaster generation. They probably can't hear the high frequencies anyway.
Japanese makers seem a lot less inclined to shake their box to bits.

Pure, Roberts and quite likely most of the others too. DAB basic rate isn't all that bad unless you put it up against a good FM receiver or original source material and then the losses are very obvious.
UK DAB isn't helped by its inability to work in many places without a significant aerial and even then there is a tendency in bad weather to get announcers who sound like they are gargling whilst trying to speak.
Driving down the A1 there are several bad DAB dead spots.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Despite living in London, much the same applies to FM using the set aerial. Although just fading and distortion - so not quite so dramatic as the boiling mud.

I have a very expensive aftermarket active DAB aerial on the old car, and in general DAB reception is better than FM. On the stations I listen to and the routes I use.
--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? *

On Thursday, 5 January 2017 11:11:55 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
53N 0W
0430 UTC: BBC Worldservice on local DAB - burbling. On local FM 95.9 kHz -keeps cutting out. On 6005 kHz from Ascension Island - 100% copy.
On Thu, 5 Jan 2017 08:42:27 +0000, Martin Brown

You refer I assume to 80 kbps mono?

You what??
<snip>

When we bought our DAB radio it was the future. DAB was going to be better than FM. Now it's about like AM.
And DAB+ won't help. They'll cram even more stations in with an even lower bitrate until the man in the street starts to complain.
Or switches to internet radio...
Andy

If your DAB really does sound like AM, you need to buy a decent DAB receiver.
--
*Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?

DAB is certainly inferior to FM (and also to the sound channel on any of TDTV, Freesat TV using either radio or TV channels on them).
It is interesting to do A B switching on the Proms since the satellite time delay allows you to listen to the same short chunk of music twice.
DAB was almost acceptable until they cut the bitrate down (and would have been acceptable if they had used the right ie newer codec).
There is nothing wrong with internet radio at all. My "DAB" tuner spends all its time streaming internet radio these days.
R3 at 320kbps is as near perfect as makes no difference.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I was replying to it being inferior in sound to AM. ;-)
AM is band limited to approx 4.5kHz and many receivers can't even manage that.

Which isn't a true AB test.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Internet radio in the car?

The question was about clock radios. On the tiny speaker(s) most of those have and the pretty basic electronics, the differences in audio quality between DAB an FM etc simply ain't going to be noticed. Poor reception on any of them might well be, though.
I have an audio analogue distribution system to every room in this house. One very real benefit of using the same source in every room is the same delay (or whatever) to all. Although I originally installed it due to very poor FM reception in this part of London making portable radios near useless.
It has 5 stereo circuits. Four radio tuners - all now FreeView - and the output of the main system in the living room. 4 radio channels covers pretty well all I ever want - although there are tuners in the main system.
In my bedroom, I have a pair of Chartwell LS 3/5s ceiling mounted over the end of the bed. Switched by an alarm.
--
*Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups *

There are plenty of tiny tinny DAB radios about.

It is plenty good enough to spot what is missing from DAB audio.

ISTR Cutting the bitrate was done after introduction. Using the wrong codec was a poor engineering decision probably made by beancounters.

You could do it for about £1.44 @ 320kbps on Threes 123 PAYG tariff or for free if you have all you can eat mobile broadband. DAB is fine for in car use since engine noise disguises all its shortcomings. The only thing that DAB does better than FM is the dead air between programmes.

DAB invariably has poor reception except perhaps in central London.

The flanging effect of different DAB radios in different rooms is hilarious. Decoder delays vary by noticeable fractions of a second.

That is a fairly hefty alarm sound system with BBC monitor clones.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Returning to the original topic, it was only once DAB arrived could I get solid signal for my bedside clock radio.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England