Idle musings on water softeners

We have one which uses bags of tablets.
At the time of purchase we rejected the more expensive ones which used blocks of salt.
However I am now wondering if the ease of just feeding salt in a block at a time compared to lugging big bags of salt around might be worth the extra money.
Cheers
Dave R

How much do the blocks weigh?
I've just installed one that uses salt "pebbles" and as I lugged the 20kg bags of salt back to the car my comment to my wife was "This is OK now, but who's going to do this in 10 years time when I'm in my 70's?"
I can refill the softener from the bags in the garage a bit at a time, but if I can't carry the bags from the car to the garage, I'm f****d.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 4th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.

In the interests of scientific research I've put a bag on the kitchen scales: and the answer is 8kg.

Yes
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

And do they come in "ones" or packaged in multiples? (Because of the point I make below...)

--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 4th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.

That is a pack of 2. At the advanced age of 76, I can still carry them upstairs - which is where our softener is locate. The pack has a "handle" for ease of carrying. The machine takes two, but I could always split the pack and make two journeys if it became too heavy. We used to have a machine which used bags of salt - suspect 20 kg - but it only lasted 30 years (thank goodness). I get ours from a local water softener firm. They would load the car if I wanted.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

That's good to know.

That isn't the problem - it's getting the stuff out of the car at the other end!
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 4th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 4 Jan 2017 13:13:12 GMT

See my post: My supplier delivers them to my door, and in fact brings them inside the house for me. He even asks where I want them dropped, but I am happy to just have them inside the house. Yours might too, if you ask.
Mine has a lad driving the van around the area, dropping off salt bags. I think that's all he does.
--
Davey.

I usually buy the bags (25kg) online from <https://www.waterways.ltd.uk who also do 10kg bags slightly more expensive. Kent, part of Surrey, and SE London delivery only so may be no good for you but I'm sure there are others.
--
"Once you adopt the unix paradigm, the variants cease to be a problem - you
bitch, of course, but that's because bitching is fun, unlike M$ OS's, where

Thank you - that's worth knowing - I've never seen anything smaller than a 25kg bag.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 4th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 04/01/2017 10:56, Huge wrote:

I buy my salt (I find blocks more convenient) from a local coal merchant who delivers and carries them in. I do help, but only because for now, I can.
Cheers
--
Clive

On 4 Jan 2017 10:56:54 GMT

I buy the blocks, which are delivered to my door, they come in plastic bags with built-in handles for easy carrying. There are two blocks in each bag, each block weighs 4 kg. Due to the only space available for the softener, the block type is the only one suitable. It replaced a very dead salt pellet Calgon softener, which could not be maintained and was a bitch to remove. For me, blocks are the only way to go.
--
Davey.

The delivery monkey after you order it online and get it delivered.
With a bit of bribery, they might well even be encouraged to put it next to the water softener, that at 70 the usual bribery might be a problem.

On Wednesday, 4 January 2017 19:20:30 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

I get mine delivered off e-bay and it uses two blocks every month.
On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 10:41:01 +0000, David wrote:

Just to add that I've looked very briefly on line and the 25 kg bags look cheaper than the 10 kg bags.
Further research required, obviously.
Cheers
Dave R