restoring old wall clock

I have come across an old wall clock (19th c.) from someone in my family. The clock is in a wooden case and with the movement. When I got the clock it was really wet and damp. It was stored in a trunk with a blanket around it and some water had gotten in, infact some pieces had fallen off because of the water, I imagine the old glue is just water soluable, there is also some mold on some of the pieces of wood. Some of the finish is coming off as well, the finish being a thin yellow layer of I am not sure what (varnish, shlack, stain) it seems to peel off in pretty big chunks. There is a little surface rust on some of the clock movement. I would like to bring this back to it orginal glory. I am currently trying to dry it out slowly in a garage. What are the steps I should take to bring it back to working order. Thanks for all the help Mike

Reply to
Michael Macintyre

nospambob